Wide glide vs softail - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Wide glide vs softail

I'm going to buy a new Harley in a few weeks. I can't decide on the wide glide (I love the raked stance and 21' front wheel but I'm not fond of the rear shocks), or the Softail ( I only like the fact that the rear shocks are hidden but I want the raked front end). Is there A big difference in the ride and/or style? Does anyone have any thaughts or helpful comments on my decision?
Blue215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
On a ride

There's not a BIG difference, but you will find the rubber mounted Dyna WG to vibe a bit more at idle and seem a little more rev happy not having to spin the counter balancers of the Softail. If you are giving good weight to the appearance, go for the Softail and don't look back. Excellent bike. Personally, I don't care if the rear shock is visible, and I would lean towards the WG. Owned an '05 WG and I miss it dearly. But I also owned an '02 Softail Heritage and miss it dearly as well.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think you'll be happy with either but it just comes down to your personal taste. I bought a 2010 wg last summer and I just liked the rake and overall look for my personal taste.

The bottom line is you'll save millions of dollars on therapy because whatever bad boy you decide to go with, it will clear your mind with nothing but good thoughts whenever you decide to hit it and get it down the road.
Sebastian1524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Principal Member

Garage
I like the look of a Wide Glide with a sissy bar. Kind of a chopper look and since I usually ride with my old lady on the back, she likes the sissy bar to lean back on. If you end up putting saddlebags on the bike, then who cares if the shocks show. The WG will also jump and vibrate more at low rpms, but it smooths right out on the road.
Kayapelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old School

Best way to decide, is test ride both and decide for your self. I chose the WG.
bikebuilderdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
evohogfarts

Got them both, the o'lady's a wide glide, the bikes a softail
ltrhdevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go take both of them for a ride if you haven't done that yet and then go with what feels most comfortable.
mrmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Trade School Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue215 View Post
I'm going to buy a new Harley in a few weeks. I can't decide on the wide glide (I love the raked stance and 21' front wheel but I'm not fond of the rear shocks), or the Softail ( I only like the fact that the rear shocks are hidden but I want the raked front end). Is there A big difference in the ride and/or style? Does anyone have any thaughts or helpful comments on my decision?
Is this the look? It's the softail custom.
It's not available in 2011 model, there are new 2010's

Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1130 (Medium).JPG (91.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0792_1 (Medium).JPG (126.9 KB, 91 views)
Stock CVO 110 Mufflers, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags & Modified HD Deluxe Guards, H-D Luggage rack, H-D Windshield, SE Fork Brace, SE Comp, Thunder Max A/T, S&S Lifters, Zipper's dual piston tensioners, Progressive Mono tubes & 422 Shocks, SCRC 524
Bagger set up to ride comfortably
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Never owned a Wide Glide but I've owned two Super Glide Customs. I love the Softail. To ME it's the difference between night and day. You really need to test drive both... If you have any previous motorcycle experience one of the two will drive/handle/fit/ride better than the other. One thing I have found is that Softails tend to be lower with less reach to the bars GENERALLY than do Dynas. Most taller riders fit Dynas better.

BTW...Nice looking Softail Custom Al!

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Softy all the way
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote