Disclaimer: I've checked the archives and haven't been able to nail down what is probably a somewhat unusual question on a Wide Glide.
This is my first H-D, having ridden sport bikes for over 30 years and about the 'loudest' street bike I've ever owned is my '03 BMW Boxer with the Cat removed and Laser Cup cans with the stock baffle installed.
The '11 Wide Glide is a nice change up from sport bikes and my wife loves the thing: that's the real reason we bought it.
I've decided that the stock pipes need to go ASAP. The routing & heat along the right leg is the #1 issue, and the less than well-engineered, low-cost pipe / heat shield configuration is the #2 issue.
I have no problem with the stock sound -- really -- and it looks like Vance & Hines offers pipes with optional baffles that will easily meet DOT sound levels, etc.
- Is this true, and how long do the baffles last before they need to be re-packed or replaced?
- Are there other brands (Python?) that also offer a quiet solution?
- Any of the etailers offer better tech support / service / price on V&H than others?
- I'm guessing if I leave the induction alone or stick with a OEM-level filter / air flow I would NOT need to have the EFI remapped or install something like a PC or V&H's FuelPack?
- Anything else that experience would suggest I consider?
Again, my apologies for bring up yet another exhaust question, but just haven't had much luck in the archives on this particular question.
Shocks are next on the list, but I think I have that one figured out: Progressive 440's & a front spring kit.