Quiet Exhaust for '11 FXDWG - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quiet Exhaust for '11 FXDWG

Disclaimer: I've checked the archives and haven't been able to nail down what is probably a somewhat unusual question on a Wide Glide.

Background:

This is my first H-D, having ridden sport bikes for over 30 years and about the 'loudest' street bike I've ever owned is my '03 BMW Boxer with the Cat removed and Laser Cup cans with the stock baffle installed.

The '11 Wide Glide is a nice change up from sport bikes and my wife loves the thing: that's the real reason we bought it.

Issue:

I've decided that the stock pipes need to go ASAP. The routing & heat along the right leg is the #1 issue, and the less than well-engineered, low-cost pipe / heat shield configuration is the #2 issue.

I have no problem with the stock sound -- really -- and it looks like Vance & Hines offers pipes with optional baffles that will easily meet DOT sound levels, etc.

Questions:
  1. Is this true, and how long do the baffles last before they need to be re-packed or replaced?
  2. Are there other brands (Python?) that also offer a quiet solution?
  3. Any of the etailers offer better tech support / service / price on V&H than others?
  4. I'm guessing if I leave the induction alone or stick with a OEM-level filter / air flow I would NOT need to have the EFI remapped or install something like a PC or V&H's FuelPack?
  5. Anything else that experience would suggest I consider?

Again, my apologies for bring up yet another exhaust question, but just haven't had much luck in the archives on this particular question.

Shocks are next on the list, but I think I have that one figured out: Progressive 440's & a front spring kit.

TIA

Last edited by TandemGeek; 07-15-2011 at 08:47 PM.
TandemGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
The silence is deafening... no pun intended.

I'm guessing this was akin to a blasphemy and have pressed ahead by ordering a set of V&H Q-Series Double Barrell pipes. It will be interesting to see how it all works out.

It also sounds like I'd do well to have the air/fuel mix adjusted when I have the EITMS enabled. I'm told H-D delivers the bikes in a lean configuration to meet C.A.R.B. and other standards for emissions which makes the motor run hotter than it needs to.

I went ahead a ordered the Progressive 440 HD shocks and front springs...

Should be a nice project bolting up everything next weekend, assuming it all arrives before then and is as expected.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tandem, most everyone else wants to make their bike lower or louder and that's 90% of the conversation here. I'm thinking you're technically way ahead and yes, it's probably true that you're one of a very limited group who wants to keep their bikes quiet. I'd still like to hear how those forks work out for you and your thoughts about the bike's performance after the download.
steve92106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemGeek View Post
Questions:
  1. Is this true, and how long do the baffles last before they need to be re-packed or replaced?
  2. Are there other brands (Python?) that also offer a quiet solution?
  3. Any of the etailers offer better tech support / service / price on V&H than others?
  4. I'm guessing if I leave the induction alone or stick with a OEM-level filter / air flow I would NOT need to have the EFI remapped or install something like a PC or V&H's FuelPack?
  5. Anything else that experience would suggest I consider?
V&H sells "quiet baffles" that are glass packed and are, in fact quiet. How much packing you use will determine "how loud" they are. I've also found you can substitute steelwool for fiberglass packing which extends life. Packing degrades with high temps and high rpm running.

V&H has some of the best Customer Service I've ever seen.

Running a Quiet baffle wouldn't require remapping, as long as the airfilter is not changed to a free flow model.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Before I would get an inspection on my old bike in the early 70s I would jam a lot of steel wool up the "shorties" right there.
Quiet as a church mouse. Then as I rode away, they would shoot out!

Finding a quiet well, engineered system could be exhausting.
Why not call a few of the well regarded brands and see what solutions they have for you?
redcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks y'all.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Bollocks!

The V&H Double Barrels were discontinued and the most similar options all seem to be a bit shorter or quite a bit longer. That, and the Quiet Baffles are now something that must be purchased separately.

Back to the drawing board, as there don't appear to be any other staggered pipes that run just past the rear axle.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

vance and Hines now has a series of "Q" pipes that are factory equipped with the quiet baffles. You might want to check it out.
scooterjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Like you , I enjoy a quiter ride,and I'm also a BMW rider for over thirty years. I changed my '08 Fatboy back to stock from Sceaming Eagle exhaust,which I like better. My boxercup had Staintune exhaust. Just a tip, GMD Comutrac/suspension in Jasper,GA has done H D fork and shock work as well as setup for Nate Kerns racebike. They are not far from you,and just off 515. Give them a call @ (706) 253-1148 They've done service,shocks and tires for me and I will return.
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
Like you , I enjoy a quiter ride,and I'm also a BMW rider for over thirty years. I changed my '08 Fatboy back to stock from Sceaming Eagle exhaust,which I like better. My boxercup had Staintune exhaust. Just a tip, GMD Comutrac/suspension in Jasper,GA has done H D fork and shock work as well as setup for Nate Kerns racebike. They are not far from you,and just off 515. Give them a call @ (706) 253-1148 They've done service,shocks and tires for me and I will return.
Thanks. Much appreciate the tip on GMD. I think I've heard them mentioned on the Pelican boards and elsewhere.