chain v.s. geared cam? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

chain v.s. geared cam?

hello, ive been doing much research on the differences, benefits and down sides to gear driven cam shafts or chain driven. I plan on installing one in my bike in a few months. In short, the only difference I can really find is that the gear driven is more meant for high end all out racing, and loses low end torque, and is more expensive. while chain driven is cheaper, easier to fix, and for street riding (conservative or aggressive) low-end. from what I could find, is this pretty much it or am I missing something?
looking forward to all input.

Active U.S. NAVY 2012-present
'13 96ci street bob
custom paint
V&H wide radius pipes
Performance Machine heavy intake
SE tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Retired citizen

Garage
I prefer rebuilding the chain / tensioner cam plates. That's just my IMO. Less modifying and they last upwards of 50k miles.
Gear drive is noisy, bikes , cars, trucks ... that's why the MoCo didn't go gear drive in the first place, EPA noise regulations!
Breeze3at and black13dyna like this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
I prefer rebuilding the chain / tensioner cam plates. That's just my IMO. Less modifying and they last upwards of 50k miles.
Gear drive is noisy, bikes , cars, trucks ... that's why the MoCo didn't go gear drive in the first place, EPA noise regulations!
yes. way cheaper to fix/ replace chain than cam

Active U.S. NAVY 2012-present
'13 96ci street bob
custom paint
V&H wide radius pipes
Performance Machine heavy intake
SE tune

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Garage
The drive of the cam and the performance of the cam are two completely different things. If they have the same specs (lift, duration , etc) the motor is going to perform the essentially same without regard to the method it's being rotated.

The benefits of the chain drive is that they are less expensive to install, quieter and allow for the crank runout.

The benefit of the gear drive is there are no chains or tensioners to fail. The downside is the lash can stress the crank bearings.

A lot of bikes built with chain drives don't have the tolerance for a gear drive. If the crank runout is too high, you can't even use a gear drive cam without taking the whole motor apart.
Kainam, GotGold, Breeze3at and 3 others like this.

2011 Ultra Classic Electra Glide FLHTCU
SE255 Cams | Jackpot 2/1/2 SPC | Jackpot 4" Dyno Tuned Mufflers | DynoJet PowerVision
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 06:59 PM

Your 13 street bob has the good factory hydraulic tensioners, vs the crappy spring loaded tensioners in my 05 Super. Unless you're putting in different cams this is a waste of money project. If you're going to take it apart, check the runout of the pinion shaft, if it's true go gear drive...most reliable setup. People say gears make more noise, they probably do, but I can't hear the cam gears in our Sportster when I ride it...
black13dyna likes this.

82' Honda Silverwing Mint, 96' Sportster 883 Custom, 05' Dyna Superglide Touring
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
HaHa, you believe that?!? They did it so they didn't have to hold their manufacturing tolerances as tight. I've never heard a bikes cam gears, when it has them, running over the noise of the exhaust...

82' Honda Silverwing Mint, 96' Sportster 883 Custom, 05' Dyna Superglide Touring
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 PM

I have two guys I ride with and both have gear driven cams. I've never heard any noise from the cams. Since they are 255 lift and 285 lift I can hear a little more noise from the valves closing...also called lifter noise.

If you have to replace a cam for whatever reason the gear driven cam is gonna cost more. Chains need tension devices and I never cared for them. Had a 2003 Electra Glide Classic and the tension devices came apart and plugged my oil lines. There used to be a lot of problems with the tension devices. Better now I guess??? I'm for the gear driven cams!
black13dyna likes this.

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Stage 1 SE AC / SE Pro Super Tuner
Vance & Hines True Duals
RC Component mufflers
Dyno Tuned
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshiV View Post
HaHa, you believe that?!? They did it so they didn't have to hold their manufacturing tolerances as tight. I've never heard a bikes cam gears, when it has them, running over the noise of the exhaust...
Yes. Long explanation in short... that's how the MoCo reps explained it to us back in '99 !
EPA measures total vehicle decibels output at specific RPMs at specific distances, not just exhaust noise.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Yes. Long explanation in short... that's how the MoCo reps explained it to us back in '99 !
EPA measures total vehicle decibels output at specific RPMs at specific distances, not just exhaust noise.
Yep...that's another EPA reg we need to roll back...come on Mr. Prez...do it!!! Oops, that's for another thread!!!

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Stage 1 SE AC / SE Pro Super Tuner
Vance & Hines True Duals
RC Component mufflers
Dyno Tuned
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 AM
On the loose

Gear drives make a distinct whine ,it may overpowered by other noise but its there. S&S claims another advantage to there gear drive dealing with timing or ratatuin direction I dont recall exactly and can't find the info right now. The crank run out is a critical factor for a gear drive , if its out of spec you have to split the cases and have the crank trued. Big expensive job. So before you purchase you need to know your run out .003 or less.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk
chasarms likes this.

2001 Deuce , traded.

2014 Street Glide with stuff

Last edited by 67Duce; 03-20-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode