Kickstand - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Kickstand

I have a 2012 Switchback and I am having a problem putting the kickstand down. The dealer installed the Harley extension on the bike when I bought it. I have had left knee replacement and having a hard ( and painful) time accessing the kickstand. I had a Road King which was easy to use. Any suggestions to make the kickstand easier to use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:29 PM

My wife bought a 2016 Dyna Low Rider before winter without me assisting. So it went into storage. It was delivered last week and she took it out for a spin. When finished she could not find the kickstand with her foot. She was able to lean down and find it with her fingers. She is going to have to have something added to it and the dealership will do it for free, but are all Dyna's like this? All of our Harley's now and present have had rather easy kickstands that you can at least reach with our foot. Is this a Dyna issue and why doesn't HD do something about it?

For now when we ride together, I will have to park first, then go over and put her stand down for her. Really stupid.

Buckeye Ken
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Ken View Post
My wife bought a 2016 Dyna Low Rider before winter without me assisting. So it went into storage. It was delivered last week and she took it out for a spin. When finished she could not find the kickstand with her foot. She was able to lean down and find it with her fingers. She is going to have to have something added to it and the dealership will do it for free, but are all Dyna's like this? All of our Harley's now and present have had rather easy kickstands that you can at least reach with our foot. Is this a Dyna issue and why doesn't HD do something about it?

For now when we ride together, I will have to park first, then go over and put her stand down for her. Really stupid.
My question is: Do YOU have a problem finding it when you are sitting on the bike? The answer will narrow the problem down to either her--or the bike.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:59 PM

I cannot find it at all. None of the stand sticks out to catch it with the foot. Definitely not proper.

Buckeye Ken
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Ken View Post
I cannot find it at all. None of the stand sticks out to catch it with the foot. Definitely not proper.
I would ride the bike back to the dealer. Have one or more of their staff sit on the bike to show you how to do it. If they can't then they need to remedy the situation.
FartBoy and Jimmers like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 12:14 PM

Yep, that is the plan. The HD owner is a lodge Brother of mine, so I'm sure he will fix me up. Thanks for the input Joe!
Louisville Joe likes this.

Buckeye Ken
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:35 PM

I had the same problem with my '08 FXDLI, the problem was so bad that on my trip home from Tacoma Wa to Portland Or. I pulled into a parking lot next to I-5, reached down with my foot and as I lowered the jiffy stand, my foot slipped off and over the bike went, with my foot pinned underneath between the foot peg and jiffy stand, the bike was resting on the foot peg, not the round one but an optional one from H-D, the pain to my foot was excruciating and as people in the parking area lifted the bike back up, that same excruciating pain came back but went away after awhile. There was no damage to the bike but the left rear turn signal rotated 180degrees, which I was able to rotate back....I stopped at another rest stop, and froze for a few minutes, then I finally found the jiffy stand with my boot and extended it...I was real paranoid up until this point...when I pulled into my driveway the same paranoia returned, this time I stood there holding the bike up for better than ten minutes...ok..so HD designed the jiffy stand for a pointed toe...I got the jiffy stand down with a sigh of relief...

I went in house and grabbed the latest H-D Catalog and turned to the Dyna section, and low and behold there it was : Jiffy Stand Extension, for $39.95... I hauled down to the dealer (drove the car) and found what I was looking for ...but for $41.95 instead...the extension is 5 inches long and bolts to the end of the jiffy stand, hardware included...took me five minutes to install, it comes with a Nylock nut and the instructions say to use threadlocker, which I didn't use, however, this extension sticks up about midpoint of the tower ( primary cover ) about an inch away, now when I put my left foot down behind the primary cover, the heel of my boot makes contact all the while without looking down..it's more of a natural feel...anyway, as I lower the jiffy stand the heel of my boot grabs the jiffy stand and down she goes, no issues...no paranoia...however..this extends the length of the jiffy stand quite a bit and it sticks up at about a 45 degree angle...it sticks farther out so whenever I am in the garage I try to avoid walking on the left side of the bike..overall...I'm satisfied, no more searching for the jiffy stand..I don't have a part number as the box was put away in storage...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:39 PM

That's exactly the part my HD will order. The will put it on for free though since she just bought the bike. It doesn't make sense that Harley doesn't see the problem. Or, maybe they do. But they aren't going to get rich off a part for a specific bike. Hopefully no one else gets hurt.

Buckeye Ken
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:50 PM

I have a 2012 Dyna WG and occasionally still have issues getting the kickstand down. It usually doesn't take me but a couple of tries to catch it with my boot, but it's not worth me putting an extender on it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 AM
SwampRat

My 05 is definitely a PITA with the Kickstand .. Have finally got it down to a science I use my Left Toe to find it and set it Down Was next to Impossible trying to Heel it Down as I've done of every other Model Ride Harley or Otherwise .. Also the Passenger Peg Must be Up on the Left Hand Side to Access It ..

2005 Dyna Super Glide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode