Screamin Eagle 110 engine problems - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifton View Post
I live in Dubai and have not seen the article which I believe is in American Iron. I am really interested in hearing what others say about the 110 engines.....am nervous about putting out that much money for a dog!

I am a long distance solo rider and need a machine I can depend on. This past summer I did all 49 states in one ride (24K miles solo). Check out my blog... http://cruisingforthecure.blogspot.com

I would really appreciate hearing more dialogue about the 110 and have someone post a picture of a 2009 Black Ice/Blue Ice conventional Ultra.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
I just picked up that issue tonight David and it's only the first of five pertaining to the subject Donnie seems bent on writing.
A quick read thru sounded pretty grim to me. Might wanna hold off and let the dust settle awhile longer.
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

I do not have an answer for the heat on the motor but I have an answer for the heat on your legs shamrock heat shield . I bought mine from discountcycleparts.con 125.00 and free shipping . shamrock sales them for 125.00 plus 15.00 for shipping
leewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have the 2008 FLHRSE4 110", the badest store bought scooter I ever did buy. Rode it to Bozeman, MT, put on the Pro Tuner, fattened it up, changed to Max Cycle oil, dropped engine temp over 25 degrees. Me and my wife weigh over 400 pounds and I can spank my bro's 103, 96 and a 05 Gold Wing with them riding solo. I put over 10,000 miles on it in a short time and all I have done is changed oil. All I can complain about is at 115 mph with me the misses both bags packed and a back pack she was toten and an almost head wind cuttin across from Denio Jct west bound the rpm's climbed, but my speed didn't. I'm fixin to hop it up cause my 103 bro is gunnin for me. So far his bill is $7,000 and for me to put in about $2,000 he will be !@#$%^&*haha Flame Out!
Flemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemed View Post
All I can complain about is at 115 mph with me the misses both bags packed and a back pack she was toten and an almost head wind cuttin across from Denio Jct west bound the rpm's climbed, but my speed didn't. I'm fixin to hop it up cause my 103 bro is gunnin for me.
You ever figure out why your clutch is slipping? Im running the SE clutch spring in mine with stock plates, but the standard spring should be sufficient with your bike. It should not be slipping.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

110 cvo engine problems

Hey H2 Dave, I purchased 2 Anniversary CVO's last year and I received my notice for gasket replacement as well. I took my Springer to the shop first. If I remember correctly, there was only about 900 or so miles on the odometer. Faultline Harley in Fremont Ca. completed the gasket upgrade as well as the ACR's and engine casing center bolt issue. No problems were discovered while dismantled and since then I've logged 3500 hard riding trouble free miles. My Road king on the other hand was found to be the victim of the notorious gasket failure issue. Although it was not detectable from outside of the engine i.e., oil leaks, gasket protrusion etc., it was discovered to have a cylinder/liner issue with the rear cylinder. Faultlines mechanic spotted the seperation between the liner and cylinder and condemned the rear cylinder for obvious reasons. As a result of this action, numerous other issues needed to be addressed as per H.D. guidlines when the cylinder/liner was found to be defective. The rear cylinder heat issue is causing havoc with these 110's vs. the 88's, 95's and 96's. This could be due to the fact that Harley uses the same piston cylinders for the 110's as they do for all the other displacement twin cam's, just a larger internal bore. The cylinder fin mass seems to be insufficient for the increased bore and stroke. The latest issue of American Iron addresses this topic with intelligent perspective, worth the read! My Road King had about 4200 miles of mountain climbing (Santa Cruz) girlfriend packin' (about 150lbs.) rev limiting (at least 3 times per outing) operation within approx. three months before going into the shop. Although I never abused her, she did have to give me what I expected a machine of this caliber to deliver! As I have asked my questions to HD mechs and small shop guru's such as those found at R/C Cycles in Hayward Ca., I have come to the conclusion that heat management regarding the rear cylinder can be obtained with a "non invasive" approach. I will be taking delivery of my new 08' Ultra Classic SE this Saturday. Since it qualified for gasket upgrading, I opted to have the mechanics bolt on a Vance and Hines True Dual header pipe system at the time of reassembly. What I hope to accomplish with this action is to replicate what Harley has done with the 09's in eliminating the crossover pipe within the rear cylinder/frame area, hopefully allowing greater airflow and heat extraction. Something that has been told to me that they say yields results is the addition of the new frame mounted rider heat shields. I've been told that it assists in airflow and owners claims to have results. Probably the most important counter measure would be a race tuner/programmer and a good dyno tune in the hands of a competent tech. Getting the proper air/fuel ratio's and whatever else the "smart guys" do while dialing in better performance would most likely save your beast from an untimely death. If I had not responded to the recall notice there is no doubt in my mind that something bad, very bad, would certainly have occurred. Sorry to have gone on so long with this topic, however, if anyone out there ends up benifiting from this information, then we all walk away with something positive. Thanks, Steve.
CVO Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clifton View Post
I really am thinking seriously about buying a 2009 CVO Ultra or a regular 2009 Ultra in the Black Ice/Blue Ice color. I have a couple of questions:

1. I am starting to hear horror stories about the 110 engine.....True or not? Do you like the bike? Would you buy another 2009 CVO?
2. Does anyone out there have a 2009 Ultra in Black Ice/Blue Ice that they could post a picture. The on line catalogue makes the color look blue on blue and not very good. A guy who saw one said it was super.

I need your help and input on both of the above,

Dave
Hello Dave,
I have the 09 Ultra Classic in the color that you are asking about, I am new to this site , actually only registered to answer you question. I have uploaded some pictures, if I did it correctly. The color is awsome, almost everytime I stop somewhere people comment on it and usually ask who done the paint job, not realizing that it is custom from the factory. Out in the sunlight it is different than in ths showroom, there appear to be a purple tint on it but that is the way it looks, you make one step and it changes.You are right about the bike looking like blue on blue even my pictures look that way, but when you actually stand by the bike the black really stands out.
I too am wondering about the 11o engine, I have 2 buddies that had it done last year one has 19k on it with no problems. I had the stage one kit done on mine but after riding theirs mine is going in next week for the 110 upgrade. The dealer is warranting the work so what have you got to lose.
Hope this was helpfull, and the pictures are attached

Rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harley Davidson 001.JPG (198.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Harley Davidson 002.JPG (196.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Harley Davidson 003.JPG (197.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Harley Davidson 004.JPG (186.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Harley Davidson 005.JPG (159.8 KB, 13 views)
rick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick Young View Post
Hello Dave,
I have the 09 Ultra Classic in the color that you are asking about, I am new to this site , actually only registered to answer you question. I have uploaded some pictures, if I did it correctly. The color is awsome, almost everytime I stop somewhere people comment on it and usually ask who done the paint job, not realizing that it is custom from the factory. Out in the sunlight it is different than in ths showroom, there appear to be a purple tint on it but that is the way it looks, you make one step and it changes.You are right about the bike looking like blue on blue even my pictures look that way, but when you actually stand by the bike the black really stands out.
I too am wondering about the 11o engine, I have 2 buddies that had it done last year one has 19k on it with no problems. I had the stage one kit done on mine but after riding theirs mine is going in next week for the 110 upgrade. The dealer is warranting the work so what have you got to lose.
Hope this was helpfull, and the pictures are attached

Rick
Mr. Young ... you just replied to a 1 year old post !
Actually a 2 year old post .
Old 01-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #18 (permalink)

Talking

Like I said new at this did not see the date, but who knows he might come back....My Bad.
rick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
This could be due to the fact that Harley uses the same piston cylinders for the 110's as they do for all the other displacement twin cam's, just a larger internal bore.
you have hit most of the common problems of the 110. nice write up. I disagree with the quoted statement as the clys are not the same as the other displacement twin cams. in fact they are not capable of being bolted to any thing other than the 110 cases because of there spigot dia and o -ring grove. but the loose liners are a very common problem.

Quote:
small shop guru's such as those found at R/C Cycles in Hayward Ca.,
If you are serious about getting a good tune. Bob and Ron are ones to see in your area.
the true duals don't do anything except move the area that the heat is in around ...what the key is ....the tune. when guys make the claim that true duals cooled there motor down what actually happened is the motor got tuned when the 2-2 pipes were added. the biggest mod you can do is swap cams for one with some more overlap to aid in cooling the motor. the 255's in the 110's help some over what stock 96 cams do. but with the added displacement ,compression, of the 110 the 255's don't have near enough overlap (holding the in and ex valve open at the same time) to properly cool the motor.

a good 2-1 pipe, swap the cams, and a good tune will make all the diff in the heat of the motor.

Edit I see that was a year old post also.... hell I thought it was 12/27/09.....duh! never mind
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:04 AM   #20 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokerjlk View Post
you have hit most of the common problems of the 110. nice write up. I disagree with the quoted statement as the clys are not the same as the other displacement twin cams. in fact they are not capable of being bolted to any thing other than the 110 cases because of there spigot dia and o -ring grove. but the loose liners are a very common problem.

If you are serious about getting a good tune. Bob and Ron are ones to see in your area.
the true duals don't do anything except move the area that the heat is in around ...what the key is ....the tune. when guys make the claim that true duals cooled there motor down what actually happened is the motor got tuned when the 2-2 pipes were added. the biggest mod you can do is swap cams for one with some more overlap to aid in cooling the motor. the 255's in the 110's help some over what stock 96 cams do. but with the added displacement ,compression, of the 110 the 255's don't have near enough overlap (holding the in and ex valve open at the same time) to properly cool the motor.

a good 2-1 pipe, swap the cams, and a good tune will make all the diff in the heat of the motor.

Edit I see that was a year old post also.... hell I thought it was 12/27/09.....duh! never mind