Viking saddle bags on Dyna? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Viking saddle bags on Dyna?

Hello everyone! I have a quick question regarding saddle bags. I looked through upteen pages of discussions on this forum and couldn't find this topic anywhere.

My question is this. Have any of you purchased a set of Viking brand saddle bags for your Dyna (or Dyna Wide Glide)? [And no, I'm not looking for the type of bags that simply toss over the seat; I want the rigid mount type.]

I'm at the point where I need a set of bags and I simply can't bear the thought of spending $600+ for a set of Harley bags and mounts.

For those of you that have purchased the Viking brand, how easy was installation? Are their bags decent quality?

Thank you in advance!
carleysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've not seen, or know anyone who has Viking bags but I do have soft bags rigidly mounted using Edge quick removable brackets. They work extremely well....bags installed or removed from bike in a minute or two with keyed locks.

Last word...if you do use Edge brackets I would advise you make sure whatever bags you get have a stout, fairly rigid backing for mounting the bags to the brackets.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hard bags are expensive. I used River Road throw overs with Ghost Brackets. Only takes a few seconds to unlock them and remove.
RandyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Do not get the Viking bags...it looks so easy to install on their website. What they don't mention is that you have to relocate your turn signals and license plate.
trayski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayski View Post
Do not get the Viking bags...it looks so easy to install on their website. What they don't mention is that you have to relocate your turn signals and license plate.
Unless you go with a swing arm bag just about any saddles bags that hold more than a bottle of water and pack of smokes are going to require a turn signal relocation. And you don't have to relocate your license plate.

I bought the Viking Dyna Super Glide FXD Spear Shock-Cutout Saddlebags and then their quick disconnect mounting system. Save yourself some trouble if you do go with Viking and order the quick disconnect mount kit when you order the bags. Super easy install. If you check out the other mounting brackets out there like Easy Brackets or EZ-Brackets they are exactly the same brackets. I think they're all made in the same factory in Pakistan. The mounting hardware that comes with the Viking bags is essentially worthless. A real shame since the bags are really thick high quality leather wrapped around a fiberglass shell. I couldn't find a better bag for the price IMO. Their customer service is hit or miss being able to reach anyone.

I'd probably buy another set of bags from Viking. I also went with the HD turn signal relocation kit which comes with the lay back license plate frame. Killed two birds with one stone. Turn signal relocation should take about 30 minutes. On my 2012 FXDC the insulation on the turn signal wires was too thick to feed through the mounting tube on the relocation kit so I had to remove the insulation and then redo with shrink tubing once I had the wires routed to the plugs inside the brake light.

In a nutshell I have a large nice set of bags on a lockable quick disconnect mount for about $300. The bags also come with locks. Each lock was keyed differently. Pictures below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bags.JPG (51.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg bags 2.JPG (25.0 KB, 205 views)

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011

Last edited by Ratso; 09-18-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: added pictures
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Liking how the bags look. I had to laugh when I saw the stickers LOL. I've researched viking bags and all the other brands too. Looks like Viking Bags has some higher quality saddle bags, where as jafrum&leather up have low quality and prices. The thing I read about in a lot of the reviews online about Viking, is that their support when you need to install the bags is nonexistant. The mounting hardware seems to be the biggest issue.. Anyway I think I'm going to buy some of these bloody bags Dyna Fat Bob Saddlebags. Luggage Bags for Harley Motorcycle .. anyone heard of nomad bags now?
magicmark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
Unless you go with a swing arm bag just about any saddles bags that hold more than a bottle of water and pack of smokes are going to require a turn signal relocation. And you don't have to relocate your license plate.
I didn't relocate my signals. Pretty sure my bags can hold more than a bottle of water and a pack of smokes, even though I don't smoke.

Fox Creek Saddlebags + EZ Brackets
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
I didn't relocate my signals. Pretty sure my bags can hold more than a bottle of water and a pack of smokes, even though I don't smoke.

Fox Creek Saddlebags + EZ Brackets
You have a soft tail. Dyna bags pretty much all require signal relocation.

It may be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
Ratso, ar these the bags you have?

VikingBags Dyna Super Glide FXD Spear Shock-Cutout Saddlebags
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Turgid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrgiacona View Post
Those are the bags. A chimp could install the hardware that comes with the bags but it won't last very long. That's why I ordered the quick disconnect mount kit. It's also simple to install.

Assuming that the Dyna turn signal relocation is done.

Michigan
2012 FXDC "Big Blue Pearl"
2010 XL883L "Vivid Black"
Moisture free since 2011
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote