Reduced reach forward controls installed - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Reduced reach forward controls installed

A local shop, M&J Motors in Martinsburg, WV did the install. I bought the reduced reach forward controls in black. The guy that did the work (Jim) did an outstanding job. It looks like they were on there from the factory. He even went so far as removing the old transmission shift lever and shaft. No extra lever sticking up and no unused shaft either. The whole job only took 2 hours. I still can't believe how good it looks. And total labor was only $120! If you are around Martinsburg stop in and say Hi to Jim and Jimmy. Friendly guys that know bikes. They are actually a Lehman Trike dealer. They sell new trikes and do full conversions on bikes. Honest and hard working guys. They do all my service and any modifications I want.
Also got a HD Sundowner seat. Moved me up a bit and maybe a smidge forward. Now I could probably get by with a 1 inch riser instead of the 3 inch one I was looking at. I liked my FXDC before but now I think I'm in love! Pictures tomorrow!
Grumpy (but with a smile on my face)
Grumpy Ole Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
That post really needs photos.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Yup - piccies please!
Which hardware did you use? I used Accutronix Kick-back adapters with the OEM controls and I've never been happy with the rear brake; the Accutronix rod has a double bend to clear the exhaust and it bends too much when you apply the brake. It feels weak and mushy. I'd love to find a better solution.
Baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Baldrick I used the new HD reduced reach forward controls (black). Seem very sturdy, no flex anywhere but since they are HD parts I paid for them big time to the tune of $399.95 minus the 15% discount. It was more than what I wanted to pay but they are sturdy and will probably last as long as I have the bike.
The weather here sucks too much to take pictures right now. My garage is so small I can just see the bike from the door and getting to it involves moving the car and another bike. I am working on it though.
Grumpy
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Damn! Why do they always introduce the things I want just AFTER I spend time & money doing the same job badly?

It would be good to see pics - maybe the H-D brake rod would fit.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
EVO RULER

Baldrick pictures here.....
Reduced Reach Forward Control Kit - Dyna® | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA
moose49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose49 View Post
Thanks Moose - that brake rod looks promising. Now if only I could get a close up of one installed before I try to persuade my local dealership that they can order it as a spare part!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

I wish I could find a place like that. My forward controls on my street bob were done at AD Farrow in COlumbus and ran me $900+ installed.
ohiomike1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
OK Grumpy, what does your inseam of your pants measure. I want to know really want forward controls but I don't want any of the ones I've seen mounted so far because I can't reach them.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

My inseam is a whopping 29 inches. Yeah I'm vertically challenged...but I have no trouble reaching the shift or brake. My knees are still bent in a comfortable position and not straight out.
Someone wanted pictures. Let me see if I can post a left and right shot that shows the controls.
Sorry but I just tried to post two pics and it is really difficult to see the controls on either side because the controls are black and with the black frame and the black engine guard they are almost invisible.
Grumpy