Turn Signals - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Something

Turn Signals

I have a 2001 FXD Super Glide and the bike has the security unit on it.

I had an error code with indicated high voltage so I replaced the voltage regulator and cleared the code. Now however, the turn signals do not auto cancel and I have to turn them off manually.

So my question is, is this just a simple fix by replacing the TSM or is it integrated with the TSSM? The two terms confuse me a little bit, can someone clarify please and which needs replaced? The security unit still functions properly. Is there a reset that needs to be done in addition to resetting the code?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Auto cancel is controlled by speed sensor, via the TSSM.

TSM = Turn Signal Module, for bikes without an alarm.

TSSM = Turn signal, Security Module, for bikes with an alarm.

Likely, the high voltage issue causes it to need resetting, as they sometimes need to be reset after installing LED light bulbs, due to less needed voltage.

For 2001 and up Harley Davidsons with TSSM Security Module, (key icon displays when key is turned to ignition position)

If your security light stays on for a prolonged period of time, if you have changed your battery or disconnected your battery when fitting components such as LED turns & if you have fitted LED turns without a load equalizer, you will need to reprogram your OEM Module.

step # 1. move handle bar kill switch to off position

step # 2. turn your ignition key: on-off, on-off then on

step # 3. hit the left turn signal twice.
your turn signals and indicator light will flash 1 - 3 flashes

step # 4. hit the right turn signal once.
turn signals and indicator light will flash once.

step # 5. hit the right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash twice.

step # 6. hit right turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals will flash three times.

step # 7. hit left turn signal once.
turn and indicator signals flash to indicate error code
(see error code thread)

step # 8. to now clear codes, hit left turn signal and hold down for 6 seconds until confirmation.
turn and indicator signals flash twice.

step # 9. turn the ign switch to off and you're done
Old 03-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Something

Thanks Dave, I'll give that a shot. I forgot that I had replaced the speed sensor too, it had been doing that odd speedometer thing. I had pulled it and cleaned it off, and that worked for about 500 miles. Next time it popped up with the same symptoms I went ahead and replaced it.