900 mile trip on new dyna. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saint Ignace MI.
Posts: 194
900 mile trip on new dyna.

just got the 1000 mile service done on my 2012 wide glide 2 weeks ago and made a trip to missouri and back. i am stunned by the reliability of my new bike and flawless performance with the pipes and tune.

mobil1 full synthetic for v-twins was used in the service so i wonder how it was treating the motor on the long trip.

one thing i wish different is i hope i can somehow bring the grips closer to me so im not reaching as much. any help is appreciated
tomseal6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Senior Member
 
buckanear007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: lacombe louisiana
Posts: 978
try some pull back risers might get few inches closer
buckanear007 is online now  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: MURFREESBORO, TN
Posts: 260
Stunned by the reliability of a brand new bike?
psgthru is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 PM
JPR
AKA Diezel's PHANTOM
 
JPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 3,245
Images: 15
Garage
You could loosen the clamp and rotate both halves (of the handle bars) back towards you without spending a dime.

That was me 40 years ago
My how times have changed

AKA Diezel's PHANTOM


I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes MAMBO #5
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 PM
JPR
AKA Diezel's PHANTOM
 
JPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 3,245
Images: 15
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgthru View Post
Stunned by the reliability of a brand new bike?

He's just thrilled with his new bike
As am I.

That was me 40 years ago
My how times have changed

AKA Diezel's PHANTOM


I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes MAMBO #5
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM
JPR
AKA Diezel's PHANTOM
 
JPR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 3,245
Images: 15
Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgthru View Post
Stunned by the reliability of a brand new bike?

He's just thrilled with his new bike
As am I.

That was me 40 years ago
My how times have changed

AKA Diezel's PHANTOM


I think therefore I am (Cogito Ergo Sum) Descartes
I ride therefore I am (Veho Ergo Sum) JPR

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes MAMBO #5
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file.
JPR is online now  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Luke 22:36
 
Kainam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 19,955
Images: 149
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPR View Post
You could loosen the clamp and rotate both halves (of the handle bars) back towards you without spending a dime.
I don't think the new Wide Glides would have that much effect from rotating the handlebars. They have low rise handlebars vs the apes they used to have.


May have to go with some dog bone risers, or something similar.


'05 Carbed Night Train
111 rwhp, 112 rwtq
Best 1/4 ET 12.557s
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Saint Ignace MI.
Posts: 194
not sure ill be riding for a while though, ive been in pain for a while and docs finally figured it out. I have some bulging discs in my neck which are protruding into my nerve column in the spine. Have to do 2 months of physical therapy just to get surgery.

Here is the MRI shot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.2.840.113619.2.244.6945.3202370.23410.1342692078.701.jpg (39.2 KB, 76 views)
tomseal6 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 04:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomseal6 View Post
just got the 1000 mile service done on my 2012 wide glide 2 weeks ago and made a trip to missouri and back. i am stunned by the reliability of my new bike and flawless performance with the pipes and tune.

mobil1 full synthetic for v-twins was used in the service so i wonder how it was treating the motor on the long trip.

one thing i wish different is i hope i can somehow bring the grips closer to me so im not reaching as much. any help is appreciated
I had 4 inch risers put on my fxdc a couple weeks after I took it home. Didn't need to change wiring or anything.


Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton
Natty is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
rubber side down
 
tomp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: sugar land, tx
Posts: 254
tomseal6, sorry to hear about your condition. Had the same problem a few years ago. The pain was really bad. Did the therapy sessions and saw the neuro surgeon, who good for me took a wait and see attitude toward surgery. After more therapy and lots of diligent praying, the pain flat went away, and thank the Lord, has never returned.

I hope you won't need the surgery. a friend had it and almost ten years later is still messing with the surgical results.

Best to you on improving and getting back on that bike, asap. tomp/dd50

2011 FXDC Vivid Black
2015 Duke 690 Black
2004 R1150RT Blue
tomp is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome