Calling dyna owners, Ape Advice? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Calling dyna owners, Ape Advice?

After months of searching for some apes to put on my 2012 Wide Glide, I finally feel like the Roland Sands 16" King apes are the way to go. I want to see if anyone could give me some input on These bars. Pics of my bike and the apes are below. I dont have any type of vision when it comes to stuff like this, so I dont know if black would even be appropriate for my bike. Also, I havent seen these bars in person so again it would help me out to here from others on what they think of these bars going on my bike?
Thanks in advance, I plan to do a full install thread with a ton of pics when I complete install

-Jared
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think those would look pretty good except chrome will have a nice contrast and are less expensive than black . Beautiful bike by the way ! Chrome looks especially good on a red bike !
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ragin Cajun

Garage
Black is the new chrome.....i like'um....

05 bagster 883/1200

The only reason some people are alive, is cause it's illegal to kill'um.....
Old 09-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

The ones you posted look like RSD, (Roland Sands Design), which are nice, but pricey. I like them a lot. He makes cool stuff and quality as well, from what I've seen.

Personally, that bike has more black than chrome. I'd use the bars and then black out the forks as well....

Black pipes too....

Pffffft....I'll spend yer money for ya...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

agreed, those bars do look cool. and I also agree, on that bike, the chrome would look better.

But..... you are going to need to eat a couple zannies before you try to run the wiring internally in those.

done it once, doubting I will do it again......
Rockerbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
***** Nomad

I agree with Dave and Josh. Those bars look good, and I think they will look good on your ride.
southernman_67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ragin Cajun

Garage
Josh may have a point, but you could buy a pre-wired kit......cheat a little bit... ...Burly makes one an Hill country to.

05 bagster 883/1200

The only reason some people are alive, is cause it's illegal to kill'um.....
Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses! These are indeed RSD King Apes, and I had read some reviews saying they thought the quality was bad. RSD always seems to make high quality products, but it does make me feel better to get opinions especially since I haven't seen them person. The bars will help making my bike different, but cant wait till the rest of the mods I have coming! It is going to be WILD!! Haha!
Also, I was going to go with pre wired bars but really wanted to Experience installing them myself, does anyone know if u can fit the cables in the bars as well?? I would love it if I could! Thanks again for the comments! I will definitely be posting pics when I get done. Ordering everything tomorrow morning!

-Jared
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have the same bike in black. I put 11" drag bars and had plenty of slack in stock wires, but I would say 16" apes your definitely gonna need a wire extension kit. Btw , black is nice but since you have chrome exhaust I'd go with chrome apes and chrome risers too! Good luck!
sleeves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

RSD Apes

I know i'm a little late on this but in case you are looking for an actual installed RSD pic I have a few...

I don't think my bars are the king apes tho, pretty sure they are mini apes but you still get the picture.
Tank125 is offline   Reply With Quote