I left the f**king ignition on - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
Sounds like a battery tender harness.
so are they supposed to be attached to the battery terminals? Or do they connect to the tender, when I get one of those? Attaching the wires to the battery doesn't make sense, but I have no idea.

Also... I was thumbing through the owners manual and saw that it's an AGM battery? The charger was set to charge a standard battery. So I just put it back on the charger with the right setting. Can't hurt to try.
IslayMalt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
One end of the harness goes directly to the battery terminals.

The other end is a quick disconnect plug that goes to a battery tender.

Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainam View Post
One end of the harness goes directly to the battery terminals.

The other end is a quick disconnect plug that goes to a battery tender.

ok, that makes sense. I have no idea where the tender side is; the two wires are coming through the same opening as the positive connection. Flashlight time.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:22 PM   #24 (permalink)

OK, I found the tender side buried in the lower left of the bike.
I said 'Screw it'; I don't care if I did run the battery down. The damn thing is a month old. So I took it back to the dealer and told the parts dept. guy what the deal was. He said that they'd take it back and check it, charge it, and re-check it. After that it would either be a warranty replacement or not. I was talking to the sales guy at the same time.... he told me not to worry; I wouldn't be buying a new battery. I got a call the next morning and everything was fine. Charged, and cranking amps a plenty. I took it home, connected it up, and it started like when I picked it up at the dealer. BUT, I did buy a tender while I was there, and plugged it in. I'll keep that going all winter. Hopefully come next spring I won't have to let it sit for more than a day or so. Especially if I can get base stickers for the Navy Yard. I have heard that they can be a real pain in the ass. But I'm not sure if that's for just military personel, or civilan as well. Time will tell.

BTW, the dealer I bought the bike from has been top-notch right from the start. Sales, Finance, parts & service have been great. Hopefully I keep my current job; otherwise they'll be a hike away.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #25 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

I left mine on . . . only for an hour or so the first week I had it. Luckily it turned over and has been fine since. I got religious with my dismount 'procedure' after that to avoid a repeat. So far, so good!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.