Fat Bob wheel stands - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Fat Bob wheel stands

Hi all. Just joined. I'm an old Bueller settled into my 2012 FXDF (think that's it).
Looking for a little feedback before I start playing with wheelies. Can't be that much different to the old X1 apart from the wheel base, handling, weight and sanity issues.
A concern for me is the belt and clutch strength, though I think they'll be fine.
I'm thinking maybe 41/2 in second, clutch in throttle firm, clutch out. Keep her in a straight line easy up and easy down. I reckon she'll give a little grunt and haul up. Or shit itself with much crunching and screeching on engine internals and lots of shiny bits smashed and slaughtered.
It doesn't sound like rocket science but some feedback would be appreciated. I've only just got 9 K klm on her and she's still all shiny so the fear factor is an issue as well. Sort of.
Once I start I know it'll be a snap. Or maybe not.
LookingThinking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old Fart

You're right, it's not rocket science.
It's a Harley, not a sport bike.
Just enjoy riding it without the wheelies.

Sean C. Vigle
Rest In Peace My Friend.
Tcglide is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Your FXDF will,in fact, raise the front wheel with less effort that you're thinking . Do it to often and you will be gathering up all those sheared up bits in the clutch, and the rest of the drive line.

It's a 700+ lb cruiser with a rather long wheel base, not designed to be riding wheelies on a daily basis.

If wheelies are your thing I might suggest getting a dual purpose bike or an enduro model, they are great for those kinds of shenanigans!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

You don't need that bike. You need a crotch rocket and another forum that can relate.
bensfatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Get a road king ride it like an old man. U might live longer and love it for sure. 28 year old guy here. Just saying

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Cadivillellac84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #6 (permalink)

Is this real? Someone playing a joke? No way this is a real person, I think there is a 110lb female that wants your help picking up her bike everyday when she drops it! No, wait a sec...... Wrong person, I meant to say someone needs your help with condensation in there garage.... Well hmmm.... Oh well, nice ur here! Welcome broseph!

Jared
2012 FXDWG
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Well, when I'm doing wheelies on my Softail Deluxe, I always use synthetic oil.
Oh yeah, I also dust the dryer lint off as well.
Get some video of your progress and keep us posted!!
Oh yeah, welcome!!
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
I had to upgrade to carbon fiber and diamond brakes on my road king just to dons proper stoppie. Then I found that when I came down the back tire would explode. Luckily Metzler makes a tire with Kryptonite reinforced sidewalls. It was just shy of a million dollars but it solved my problem.

I think if you fill your tires with nitrogen enriched Seafoam you should be golden.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Diezel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Acta Non Verba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWendtinc View Post

I think if you fill your tires with nitrogen enriched Seafoam you should be golden.
That about made me fall out a bed.... :
Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Post some pictures when you try it. Let us know how it goes.
bikedelic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.