Can Shift Linkage Be Adjusted Wrong? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Can Shift Linkage Be Adjusted Wrong?

Probably a stupid question. But anyway, I had forward controls added to my SuperGlide when I purchased it. It is a real bitch to get into neutral. Maybe it's me, or maybe it's the bike, I don't know. All I do know is that I've never had this problem with any bike I've owned in the past (all non-HD). Just wondering.
IslayMalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Yes and no.... the pedal height and rod have no effect on finding neutral. However.....pedal height and throw can effect shifting if not being moved enough to make crisp shifts. Your issue is likely in the clutch basket adjustment or the cable if not even the fluid level which can be a factor as well.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I doubt that I'll get it up to the dealer until Spring, but I'll take this along.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Its a s.o.b. to get a dyna into neutral ever since they started putting did speeds on them. Had two, both were tricky. Just barely lift the lever. Sometimes just go to second them try it again and it will be easier.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
barrett_kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

* six speed that was

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App
barrett_kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nad

A little trick to see if your clutch adjustment, if you shut the bike off does it go into neutral easy? If so it probably clutch. If you want to adjust the clutch yourself let me know and I will give you a fool proof way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Until you can have a dealer look at it. Ive found the blipping the throttle while trying to find N helps on mine. Both new bikes were a little difficult until i got about 5k on them. I either got used to it or they got easier. Just my 2cents
2010hdultra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to Harley ownership. My new softail doesn't have a problem finding neutral. My older bikes have been 50/50. Even after a service at the dealership and having them check it, my old softail was a mofo to get into nuetral. Just happens that way with HD. Let out slightly on the clutch as your pulling up on the shifter. Sometimes that pops it in easier.

-Rohan
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad View Post
A little trick to see if your clutch adjustment, if you shut the bike off does it go into neutral easy? If so it probably clutch. If you want to adjust the clutch yourself let me know and I will give you a fool proof way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I think it's even worse when not running. Getting it down to first while riding is the worst thing. I think it's first, and it's second; so I'm not expecting the needed extra throttle. At least for me. The '12 Wide Glide that I rented a year or so ago worked perfectly. That's why I thought it may very well be from the dealer adding the forward controls. I may try to ride it up there this weekend, and maybe I can get one of the service guys to take a quick look.

Yes, I would appreciate any help in figuring out the problem,
thank you.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

the same exact thing happend to my street bob after having dealer put on fowards, I took it back to the dealer due to hard shifting and not being able to get from 2nd to 3rd and so on. When I brought it back they told me it was just a quick clutch adjustment and linkage adjustment and was fixed in no time at all. never had a problem shifting after that. Shifts nice and smooth in all gears now. Its common to have it adjusted after a couple of months of putting fowards on.
uscgmac is offline   Reply With Quote