First bike: 2013 Street Bob - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

First bike: 2013 Street Bob

I have chosen this bike pretty much based on the look that I want and the aftermarket parts to customize it. I don't plan on making an cross country rides and do not need to show my a$$ by roasting the tires every chance I get...I rode sport bikes for that.

My only question is upgrading to the 103. Is it needed? Besides the CC's what other difference is there as far as the ride? The decision to upgrade will determine if I'm waiting until March to get my bike or if I'll have it waiting on me when I get home.
BandEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandEm View Post
I have chosen this bike pretty much based on the look that I want and the aftermarket parts to customize it. I don't plan on making an cross country rides and do not need to show my a$$ by roasting the tires every chance I get...I rode sport bikes for that.

My only question is upgrading to the 103. Is it needed? Besides the CC's what other difference is there as far as the ride? The decision to upgrade will determine if I'm waiting until March to get my bike or if I'll have it waiting on me when I get home.
There is not a "need" for the upgrade, it's more of a "want" . It'll ride the same .

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed. The 96 and 103 have the same cam. Is just a couple cubes
zeus0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
'11 SuperGlide FXDC

Garage
Think of it this way a few years back they had 88ci engines.

The 96 I have in my 2011 SuperGlide Custom has plenty of power. I've been on the I-20 between Shreveport & Dallas and never been wanting for more throttle. Around town and on country roads it has WAY more power than I need.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess that settles it. I didn't want to wait three months anyway. Everything else I can get from the dealer.
BandEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

The way I look at it my Dyna Super Glide with the 96 has a bigger engine with more power than a couple of cars I've had in the past.

I just picked up my bike a month ago, and have finally been able to get over the 500 mile marker last week. Hey..It's a bit cold here in PA. It actually has quite a bit more power than I thought it would. No real complaints there, but rarely is more power a bad thing.

For what it's worth though I've been riding with a few others that had much bigger bikes than mine hauling passengers with 80-88 ci engines, and I didn't hear them complaining.
Hunt/fish 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Race for pinks??

Just kidding. Hell, I'm 62. I cruise. Just wanted to chime in.

2005 XL1200C Vance & Hines Staggered Short Stacks w/QQ Thunder Monster Baffles, D & M chrome spike air cleaner, 48, 185 jets, 12" Burly's, Mustang Cyclone solo seat, Progressive 412 shocks.

2009 FXSTC Vance & Hines Big Radius, V&H air filter, 16" RSD King Apes w/1 1\2" risers and 1 1/2" riser extensions, Progressive 422 shocks, Corbin seat.
squeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

All bikes are quick and fast, some are just alot quicker and faster. Never been on one that NEEDED more power, but I always WANTED more power. I currently ride the 2012 Super Glide custom w/the 96CID, with just a set of slip ons. Pushing 3000 miles and the bike cruises at 75-80 MPH (interstate) at 2500-3000 RMS, with plenty of throttle left.
DevilDawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Vote Cthulhu in 2016

Not sure why, but looking at pics of that model online makes me want to pop wheelies in front of the po-po and then run for the horizon....

-- Egyptian Book of the Dead

"I found the name of the band in a dictionary one day at Phil's house. I'm wasn't sure what it meant at the time, but as soon as I saw those two words juxtaposed I said to myself "Yeah, that's it!"

-- Jerry Garcia
City Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
JPR

Garage
As others have said all of the Harley's have ample power. And if you're going to be riding with others, you will all be riding at about the same speeds

If you have the need to be always out running the group then you need something else other than a Harley.

Try a Boss Hog. It's a bike with a Chevy 350 for an engine. Then you can be all by yourself in the distance or splattered against the back end of that semi way up there (hopefully not)

Enjoy your new bike. And ride safely.

65 Italian scooter
66 305 Rice burner; NO PROBLEMS
67 650 English Bike; MAJOR PROBLEMS
1968/XLCH - lots of mods; loved it for 11 years; NO MECHANICAL PROBLEMS
2012 Heritage 103 Rush 2.0 pipes "MAMBO #5"
bought all brand new except scooter

There's a picture of the sportster after all the mods in my images file. Check out my favorite target with a 45 Kimber at 25 ft on an 8.5 x 11 picture.
JPR is online now   Reply With Quote