Bars - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Bars

Looking for some input on changing my stock handle bar on my 06 street bob. I was sure I wanted drag bars for a bit but now I'm torn between styles.

Anybody have input in what they prefer and why? What do dyna owners think looks best?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
jacksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

What's your riding style ? Need some more info about your likes and dislikes.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm partial to the drag bars myself.
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
What's your riding style ? Need some more info about your likes and dislikes.
You looking for a date...

Actually Schmidtys is spot on.
Riding style and saddle time go a long way in finding the best seat and bars for someone.

They make hundreds of combinations of bars and risers.

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
I had drag bars on my Night Train and loved them. I have mini apes on my Road King and love them.

It really depends on the look and feel that you want. I would love to say that the apes are more comfortable, but the whole bike is more comfortable so it's hard to tell why.

Do you have a photo of the bike you could post?
Diezel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 12:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've changed a lot on the bike over the past years pretty much everything except the bars. I've got a badlands, sundowner and a solo saddle. Don't know how to classify my riding style these days it has def changed since I got the bike. I think these days my riding more riding style is more laid back. But...

I think I am just looking to give her a new look. The exact problem is there are so many different combinations. I like the drag bar style but there are drag bars and risers all in one. There are drag bars and risers separate. What is the correct rise and pullback that doesn't sacrifice comfort I'm wondering?

jacksdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

well I don't know much about the drag bars for the Dyna, but I will have a set of 12" mini-apes after they get done putting on my 16" apes...

2013 HD-1 bike build FXDBP103 Street Bob Black:
103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Short Shots w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar w/ luggage rack, Sundowner Two Seat, Smoked Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
icprules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
2014 FLHXS

Garage
On my '11 SuperGlide Custom I recently added 4.5" pull back risers using the stock bars and it made all the difference in the world as far as riding comfort. No more leaning forward. I'm pretty sure there is a picture in my forum garage.

I was originally thinking about going to drag bars with some level of pull back but I got a chance to ride a bike like that and the fist straight into the wind wasn't a comfortable position for me.
Wrgiacona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Nad

I'm new here but I have always run drag bars, I run the Roland's sands 12 inch apes on my street bob I've calmed down A bit in the last few years, but man are those bars comfortable. ImageUploadedByMO Free1354295256.249712.jpg

Nad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I am trying set of 3" straight risers on my oem Dyna glide bars, even straight risers will bring bars closer.

Nad: Nice set-up, and exhaust, are those FatBob header pipes with single collector?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.