NEW isntrument/Dyna's - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
DIRTBOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
Just had mine installed today. It's the 4" model(Dynas) and due to year of my bike, '05, all the possible functions of the instrument does not work/apply. No gear indicator and no fuel/mileage remaining read out. I believe from '07 forward all of these functions would work. Mine will give fuel in tank reading, rpm, speed, trip mileage readout, color selection for back light but believe that's it. My primary reason for going with it was to have the tach read out. Have not picked up the bike yet, going after it in the morning, and was told you have to put believe 32 miles on it for the instrument to "set??" My set up with the JIMS120 seems to really "light up" from what I am guessing is somewhere near 3000rpm, but won't take me a little while riding tomorrow to see just where the power band is on it. It is a good looking unit and to me expensive, but it's on there now.

Additonal info: Well, went and got box/papers and unit also has a clock and the color selection is wide: red, amber/orange, yellow,yellow green, green, green/blue, blue, blue/violet, violet, pink, red shade, white, what more could you ask!!(think I will avoid the pink lighting, must be for girls bikes)

2008 /Dynas have all functions available except range/miles to go. 2009 -2011 Dynas have all functions available. It would appear that the dealer is to download miles on bike when installed and has tamper proof system so as to not be able to alter true mileage on the bike.

I installed this a few months ago. well one like this. i love it. if i recall correctly, the 32 miles is the miles that they give you to ride around and see if you like it. if you don't, you can remove it. once it is past them miles, it is locked to your bike. no big deal.

it really go hand in hand with the downloading of miles. that part was quick and it just reads it from the ECM and resets the mileage count to read what it had before. GREAT purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Illiniwek View Post
Please understand that I know nothing of the parts that SCHMIDTYS is referring to. I'm guessing on logic and NOT wrenchability.
mixedbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE ROAD View Post
Finally a digital speedometer with a analog tach. combo including fuel consumption , gear counter & all the other pertinent info .
But why take up so much space with an 8000 RPM tach. when it should be a 6000 maybe 7000 RPM at the max ? I mean WTF is that all about ? Who's got a Dyna that'll rev to eight grand ? Why not go ahead & install a 200 MPH speedometer while your at it ! All the poser's out there will surely go for that .
Simple fact you want your instruments to indicate at mid range for normal conditions.

If you expect to spend time at 50 psig then you want a 0-100 psi gauge

If you expect to run 250 degrees you want a 0-500 degree thermometer.

I see nothing wrong with a 120 MPH Speedometer if someone has calculated 60 MPH as optimum cruise, although mine should be 140 MPH maybe even 160. If you intend to spend a lot of time at 100 MPH then by all means a 200 MPH speedometer is right for you.

I do most of my shifting at 4K when winding up so see nothing wrong with a 8K Tachometer.

Digital instruments are not immune to the problems of operating on either end of their scale, they simply provide more accurate indication than analog throughout their useful range.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

That's all I need. A new toy. I already a nice speedo tach unit

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Switchback, 14" chubby apes, Rinehart 2-2 exhaust, SERT
LugoffSC_FLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Waited until afternoon to warm up a bit and picked up bike. As mentioned supposed to put some 32 or so miles on it to have it adjust as they say, and first 15 miles various lights would come on and off. Red light, then orange one, then no lights, then started back up again. Had just over 32 miles on it and last 5 or so, no more lights appearing.
Pulled into dealer back lot where the "crew" usually takes a smoke break and they asked me how it was doing and told them it appears to be "well adjusted" now. Dial lights are now set on white and not the way to go, but instructions tell you that white mode is hard to see in bright sunlight and will adjust to probably green or red tomorrow and see how that works out. Speed indication is a bold window in the lower right corner of the instrument and easy to see w/ tack needle easy to see as well. This JIMS120 always seemed to idle a bit fast for the first couple minutes and initially was reading some 1100rpm's and then settled back to just between 8-900rpm. 5th gear, 70mph is just below the 3000 mark about where I figured it would be. Fuel supply is series of bars similar to power bars on cell phone in left lower corner and easy to see. Supposed to be a clock in there somewhere but have not messed with it yet and will see if I can find it when I change the color. On original speedometer was used to watching needle at 12 o'clock and knew that was 60mph, but will have to get used to seeing just the bold black numbers for speed. Coming back I entered the Interstate and was in 4th gear and gave it a bit of throttle and looked and showed 70mph(speed limit there is 60) and let off and settled down to some 65 or so and fellow with blue light pulled right up beside me and smiled and gave me a thumbs up sign. Don't know if he was telling me I did the right thing or he was a biker himself. I was already in 5th and just cruised on back. Don't know about other places but he law dogs are really cracking down here for speeders.
With court costs/fines, fees, etc. a minimum ticket will set you back some 500.00 plus points. Real early to tell, but believe it is a worthwhile addition to my ride.

Last edited by Instructor; 11-29-2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling error
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
I put one of these on my bike last year when they came out. It is an awesome addition and well worth the $300 IMHO. There are so many different color combinations it's unreal.............You can pick it up at some online Harley dealers for far less!
'08 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded)
'09 Softail Custom Traded 10/13
'09 Springer CVO Screaming Eagle
'10 CVO Screaming Eagle Softail Custom Convertible
'11 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded for CVO)
'07 Thunder Mountain Chopper (w/ 103 HD Screaming Eagle) Traded 10/13
09 Softail C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by secoleman57 View Post
Simple fact you want your instruments to indicate at mid range for normal conditions.

If you expect to spend time at 50 psig then you want a 0-100 psi gauge

If you expect to run 250 degrees you want a 0-500 degree thermometer.

I see nothing wrong with a 120 MPH Speedometer if someone has calculated 60 MPH as optimum cruise, although mine should be 140 MPH maybe even 160. If you intend to spend a lot of time at 100 MPH then by all means a 200 MPH speedometer is right for you.

I do most of my shifting at 4K when winding up so see nothing wrong with a 8K Tachometer.

Digital instruments are not immune to the problems of operating on either end of their scale, they simply provide more accurate indication than analog throughout their useful range.
Well for me & a lot of other bikers a 7000 RPM tachometer would make a whole lot more sense & be plenty useful without all of the wasted space of a 8000 RPM unit . Plus , because you don't have to squeeze all those numbers together it would be easier to distinguish at a glance exactly where the pointer is pointing ! A safety issue especially when racing . If not a tach. how about a small or big red light that after adjusting to your desired shifting RPM would light-up so you wouldnt even have to take your eye's off the road . Now how expensive could that be ?
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Shift lights have been common in drag racing for decades. The only purpose for the Tach in my brother's Super Gas is rev limiting and to show max RPM AFTER everything is said and done.

As far as "squeezing" the numbers in only away around that is to make a 7K tach with the same dial face size as a 8K which once again takes up the space you where worried about.

Instrumentation is designed for use in the mid range so if you shift at 3500 RPM then get a 7K tach. That's just the way it is do otherwise and you run the risk of getting a "fast or slow" reading over time.

Sounds to me you don't need a Tach at all just get and setup a shift light.
secoleman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by secoleman57 View Post
Shift lights have been common in drag racing for decades. The only purpose for the Tach in my brother's Super Gas is rev limiting and to show max RPM AFTER everything is said and done.

As far as "squeezing" the numbers in only away around that is to make a 7K tach with the same dial face size as a 8K which once again takes up the space you where worried about.

Instrumentation is designed for use in the mid range so if you shift at 3500 RPM then get a 7K tach. That's just the way it is do otherwise and you run the risk of getting a "fast or slow" reading over time.

Sounds to me you don't need a Tach at all just get and setup a shift light.
That's true , a 6 or 7 RPM tach. may take up the same space ( as an 8000 RPM tach. ) but you would be able to read the numbers much easier being that they are spaced much wider apart thereby giving you a much more accurate reading !
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)

Went back to dealer today and "we" attempted to download all the features color wise into the unit and finally got that where we wanted it, green, established clock feature, B trip meter, and figured good to go. Went down the road for few miles and sure enough, back to original configuration, white and no clock feature or B trip either. I'll tinker with it this weekend for we have good weather next few days. As for ability to read the tach the numbers/needle are easy to see. Top dead center/12 o'clock is 4000 and I may see that from time to time in the lower gears, but if it were reading 4000 in 5th gear I would definitely be well above any known highway speed limit since 70mph is just barely on the 3000 mark. I have noticed that while in 5th gear and rolling along at about 40mph the tack is just above the 1000 mark, close to 1100 I would guess. Not lugging or lopin, just a smooth steady power pulse. When you get old and broke up,retired, you are allowed to have some "toys."
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
this is the one I mentioned.

Combination Speedometer/Tachometer - Color-Matched Lighting | Harley-Davidson USA

msrp $499.95 only fits 08 dyna w/ 5" gauge, though. (so wont work on my 10 wide glide)