NEW isntrument/Dyna's - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

NEW isntrument/Dyna's

Made the mistake of visiting HD store last eve. and was shown new speedometer/tach combo now available for '04 + Dyna. It is typical tach face w/ digital speed reading and is a plug and play so no having to fool with wiring to install. Capable of giving fuel consumption, gear selection, plus color selection of read outs. Dealer just got one in stock and upon examining appears to be of quality and does look like a serious instrument. Been considering adding a separate tach for the bike, but held off for not wanting anymore clutter on the bars, but all in one does the job. I have always shifted according to speed/sound and not considered tach necessary but believe this may be a nice addition. Running JIMS120 and always curious as to the rpm's vs speed so now I will be able to find out. List price near 300.00 and like I said, made a mistake going down there.
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
Made the mistake of visiting HD store last eve. and was shown new speedometer/tach combo now available for '04 + Dyna. It is typical tach face w/ digital speed reading and is a plug and play so no having to fool with wiring to install. Capable of giving fuel consumption, gear selection, plus color selection of read outs. Dealer just got one in stock and upon examining appears to be of quality and does look like a serious instrument. Been considering adding a separate tach for the bike, but held off for not wanting anymore clutter on the bars, but all in one does the job. I have always shifted according to speed/sound and not considered tach necessary but believe this may be a nice addition. Running JIMS120 and always curious as to the rpm's vs speed so now I will be able to find out. List price near 300.00 and like I said, made a mistake going down there.
Hey there Instructor, you are right going into a HD dealership is always trouble. You are right about the speedometer/tach combo, I have been looking at those as well.

Chopperpilot
chopperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
see if you can get a manufacturer and part #. I have a hard time believing this is a HD part when their cluster (speed, tach, mileage) goes for some $400+ (if I remember right).
Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've seen the same one too. Saw this one in the wish list as I call it, the HD parts book. Doesn't look bad

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App
D1W1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seVer916 View Post
see if you can get a manufacturer and part #. I have a hard time believing this is a HD part when their cluster (speed, tach, mileage) goes for some $400+ (if I remember right).
Really?? I kinda remember the combos being around 300 but I am not totally sure....

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not sure of the manufacturer but these are two part numbers from the HD parts book. 70900100 ($259.95) and then 70900274 ($299.95). Not really sure of the difference between them as just different model fitments.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

Idea of what it looks like for the dyna

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1354157792923.jpg (49.6 KB, 289 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Finally a digital speedometer with a analog tach. combo including fuel consumption , gear counter & all the other pertinent info .
But why take up so much space with an 8000 RPM tach. when it should be a 6000 maybe 7000 RPM at the max ? I mean WTF is that all about ? Who's got a Dyna that'll rev to eight grand ? Why not go ahead & install a 200 MPH speedometer while your at it ! All the poser's out there will surely go for that .
THE ROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just had mine installed today. It's the 4" model(Dynas) and due to year of my bike, '05, all the possible functions of the instrument does not work/apply. No gear indicator and no fuel/mileage remaining read out. I believe from '07 forward all of these functions would work. Mine will give fuel in tank reading, rpm, speed, trip mileage readout, color selection for back light but believe that's it. My primary reason for going with it was to have the tach read out. Have not picked up the bike yet, going after it in the morning, and was told you have to put believe 32 miles on it for the instrument to "set??" My set up with the JIMS120 seems to really "light up" from what I am guessing is somewhere near 3000rpm, but won't take me a little while riding tomorrow to see just where the power band is on it. It is a good looking unit and to me expensive, but it's on there now.

Additonal info: Well, went and got box/papers and unit also has a clock and the color selection is wide: red, amber/orange, yellow,yellow green, green, green/blue, blue, blue/violet, violet, pink, red shade, white, what more could you ask!!(think I will avoid the pink lighting, must be for girls bikes)

2008 /Dynas have all functions available except range/miles to go. 2009 -2011 Dynas have all functions available. It would appear that the dealer is to download miles on bike when installed and has tamper proof system so as to not be able to alter true mileage on the bike.

Last edited by Instructor; 11-28-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added some more data
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
Just had mine installed today. It's the 4" model(Dynas) and due to year of my bike, '05, all the possible functions of the instrument does not work/apply. No gear indicator and no fuel/mileage remaining read out. I believe from '07 forward all of these functions would work. Mine will give fuel in tank reading, rpm, speed, trip mileage readout, color selection for back light but believe that's it. My primary reason for going with it was to have the tach read out. Have not picked up the bike yet, going after it in the morning, and was told you have to put believe 32 miles on it for the instrument to "set??" My set up with the JIMS120 seems to really "light up" from what I am guessing is somewhere near 3000rpm, but won't take me a little while riding tomorrow to see just where the power band is on it. It is a good looking unit and to me expensive, but it's on there now.
Let us know how it goes!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote