Potential Purchase 1st Harley... - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)

Potential Purchase 1st Harley...

Great forum so far, been lurking and reading all weekend and figured this would be the best place to post. I have been into cars since I was younger (now 31) and finally came to grips with selling my current vehicle for a nice bike and some house money.

I have found a 2006 Street Bob with 2390 miles on it for a decent price from a dealer I trust. Salesmen has sold my neighbor a few bikes and has been nothing but helpful in the past month. My questions are as follows and I appreciate any feedback...

-Issues with such low miles I should look for?
-Plan on fresh gas, plugs, filters just as a preventative
-Bike will sit for the next few months til winter comes
-First harley for me, any issues with this model year?

I have riden bikes before, mainly street bikes, but have taken the occasional harley out for a quick spin. I am 6'2 and of all the bikes I looked at I love the style and fit of this bike. Do you think it would make a good bike for a rider with a little experience to learn from?

Thanks for any help whatsoever I am hoping to scoop this up this week.

JTR
03geetee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03geetee View Post
-Issues with such low miles I should look for?
-Plan on fresh gas, plugs, filters just as a preventative
-Bike will sit for the next few months til winter comes
-First harley for me, any issues with this model year?
Nice intro, welcome from the same State, just south of you. Another bike saved from dying of boredom, good job. I'd change out the fluids. Trans, primary, of course oil and filter. Run her to 5 grand on the clock and do what Harley recommends. 06 really isn't that old.. I would change out the battery in the spring and put a tender on it. Just my .02

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGold View Post
Nice intro, welcome from the same State, just south of you. Another bike saved from dying of boredom, good job. I'd change out the fluids. Trans, primary, of course oil and filter. Run her to 5 grand on the clock and do what Harley recommends. 06 really isn't that old.. I would change out the battery in the spring and put a tender on it. Just my .02
First off I just want to say welcome. The second thing is if your buying from a dealership can't they give you info on the previous/current maintenance? Nice choice on the bike, I'm 6' and just bought my first Dyna Street Bob (my previous 2 Harley's were Sportsters) with forward controls and can stretch out nice. So I think that it would fit you just fine. Most Harley owners keep up with their scheduled maintenance so odds are it would be well worth the money.

2013 HD-1 bike build FXDBP103 Street Bob Black:
103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Short Shots w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar w/ luggage rack, Sundowner Two Seat, Smoked Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
icprules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome. If ive learned one thing its this, some buy bikes to ride, but most people i know buy them to look good in the garage and so they can ride to the bars on the weekend and say yup thats my harley outside. Me on the other.hand are folish enough to ride it to work when its 35 outside. Lol just change all the fluids which the dealer should do when they took it in. And put a battery tender on it and you should be ok. Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Nad

I have the same bike, I have had many others. This is by far my favorite. It does everything good. I'm sure you will be very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Nad

Any questions on the bike feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks a ton guys.

Dealer serviced the bike, and includes my next service free which I assume will be just checking somethings and first oil/filerchange. No worries on the tender I will use that and have the battery tested before I take her home to make sure it is not too old.

Looking forward to showing you pictures, but not until its mine because I think its a great bike for a great price.

I will keep you all posted.

Thank you.

JTR
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Picker her up today! So excited to bring her home tomorrow, having some tasteful mods done at the dealer tonight....

Lay down plate, Led Tail with built in turns, load reducer for lights and new guage pack that was posted in this forum somewhere from HD. Cannot wait to get this thing on the road and best part no salt yet here in Chicago!

Guage I got...

Thanks for all the help guys!

JTR
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

Brought her home today, man what a blast!

New guage from Harley is SWEET I highly recomend it. No gear selection or range but I could care less. Easy to read and colors are infinite!

JTR
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Welcome to the forum from Houston!

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.