Switchback Full LEDs - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Switchback Full LEDs

I really want my bike to be visible so I decided to install a bunch of LED lighting. Looked at all the plug and play HD stuff, but after seeing how much light output you get with the stuff from customdynamics.com (not affiliated, just a satisfied customer), i went with them.

Replaced the headlight with a Phase 7, 7" LED headlight. Replaced all the indicator lenses with smoked lenses. Front indicators got the Dynamic Ringz Bullet LEDs and the Rears got the Dynamic Cluster Bullet LEDs. Lay down smoked rear brake light to finish off.

Some photos:

front shot with headlight and ringz:

front shot with headlight and turn signals blinking:

rear shot with running lights on:

rear shot with turn signals blinking:

closeup of the front LED cluster:

shot of my Switchback:

on the shot of the entire bike, you can see the one downside of the Phase 7, it sticks out a bit. it doesn't bother me too much, but some people buy the frenched trim ring to fix the look, but that probably only works on the touring-ish bikes. All the lights except the rear turns were plug and play.

The rear turns required two wires be run to the brake light housing to pickup the running and braking functions. that meant drilling a small hole in the reflector, then running those wires through the grommetted wire already on the turn signal, then up inside the fender and into the brake light housing. the Custom Dynamics guys provide some quick wiretaps, i tapped their brake light housing. Their brake light has a cool harness that takes the plugs from the turns and brake, then plugs back into the stock housing.

here is the list of parts:

1 x Dynamic Ringz Bullet LED Turn Signals 1157 GEN200-AW-1157 $79.95
1 x Integrated Genesis II Laydown Smoked No Window Tail Light Black Reflector GEN2I-LD-S-B $149.95
4 x Bullet Smoked Lens 2020-0069 $7.80
1 x Phase 7 Headlight-7" 2249 $269.99
1 x Dynamic Cluster Bullet LED Turn Signal 1156 GEN200-AR-1156 $81.00

Basically for the price of the HD Daymaker, i was able to outfit the whole bike with LED lighting. I'm very happy with the result. Bike looks slick with all the blacked out lenses and lets everyone around me know whats going on. Custom Dynamics was really awesome, they refunded my 3 day shipping when they couldn't get one of the parts out for 2 days...and it still came in 3 days. Their website however looks like it came from 1998. Regardless, I would totally buy there again.

And thank you guys for all the info, I pretty much read everything I could on here to figure out what I wanted to do.
scotticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great! The rear LED's will really be noticable especially if you get caught in any type of low light situation.

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
on the shot of the entire bike, you can see the one downside of the Phase 7, it sticks out a bit. it doesn't bother me too much, but some people buy the frenched trim ring to fix the look, but that probably only works on the touring-ish bikes. All the lights except the rear turns were plug and play.
The bike looks great! I put the french trim ring on my Switchback in anticipation of putting the Phase 7 on this winter. It fits perfectly. The description on the HD page from your link even says " Fits '12-later FLD".

perfectlyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looks awesome great job!

JTR
03geetee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Looks great, I made the same decision and went with Custom Dynamics turn signals smoke lenses as well. I will have to look at the head light option too. I also installed the Custom Dynamics® SMART Triple Play Run/Brake/Turn Controller for the flashing break light option.
chopperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

What do you think of the Switchback?

Hey guys,

What do you think of the Switchback? Right now when I am ready to buy next bike the Switchback will be it. Give me your thoughts.

Pastor Jeff
Pastorjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I dont have one but really like the concept. When its in touring mode bags and all it reminds me of a mini street glide, but strip it down a bit and its like a different bike.

Neat idea.

JTR
03geetee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorjeff View Post
Hey guys,

What do you think of the Switchback? Right now when I am ready to buy next bike the Switchback will be it. Give me your thoughts.

Pastor Jeff
I love mine. It's my first HD bike, but i was looking at the Fat Boy Lo. I had decided what i wanted to spend, and to get what the Switchback had on the Fat Boy, the Fat Boy would have cost a ton more. I'm really happy with my decision. It is really a great touring style bike while still being a great cruiser. Handles great and the power is excellent.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyfrank View Post
The bike looks great! I put the french trim ring on my Switchback in anticipation of putting the Phase 7 on this winter. It fits perfectly. The description on the HD page from your link even says " Fits '12-later FLD".

Sweet, i'm going to get that trim ring. Silver looks bad ass. Is that the VH Switchback system?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotticus View Post
Sweet, i'm going to get that trim ring. Silver looks bad ass. Is that the VH Switchback system?
It's the V&H Slip on. It sounds great. I will probably go will the V&H Pro Pipe when I decide to drop the cash for a full stage 1, but the slip on was only $200 and didn't require a tune.

It's funny. I was looking at the Fat Boy Lo too and decided on the Switchback instead, which my buddy ended up buying. It is in the pic next to my Switchback.
perfectlyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.