Finally rode one...couple of questions. - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

The truth be known, believe what the dealer is attempting to do with you or any other customer is to sell what he has on hand. I am sure the HD factory would honor a special order/ build your own bike if they were requested to do so. Now if the policy from the factory is to do such special orders on particular models, then the dealer rep should have explained that to you. Far better answer than just saying "they" don't do that. Poor salesmanship and customer dealings I would say. As others have said, hope you get what you are going to pay out "your" money. Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas!!
Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
Captain Dave

When I was first shopping, I was looking at a Sporty, didn't feel right. The sales guy said "step over here" and I got on a Dyna. Game over brother. I bought a shiny black Wide Glide. Very happy with it and now I'm into the accessory mode. You do realize buying the bike is just a down payment on all the rest you need to personalize your ride. Anyway, get what FITS you and what you really want. Post some pics when you get it.....and you will get it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Tramp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ok well I just got back from the dealer(not the original one) and the guy explained it to me like this.. He said they put a list together of what you want and they submit it to harley, and they either accept it or reject it...and they don't know what's gonna happen until after they submit it. That still doesn't sound right to me. He said they've actually never ordered a custom bike like that for a customer. I'm gonna try one more dealer that's kinda close to me and see what they say. Like others have said, I'm not gonna settle. I know what I want and how I want it and if they can't get it for me then I'm just gonna have to keep trying different dealers until I find one that's willing to help.

And another question... What's the going rate for dealer fees that they tack on to the price of the bike? Every bike they had had at least 800 bucks worth of dealer set up fees broken down into 3 different categories.
sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
Ok well I just got back from the dealer(not the original one) and the guy explained it to me like this.. He said they put a list together of what you want and they submit it to harley, and they either accept it or reject it...and they don't know what's gonna happen until after they submit it. That still doesn't sound right to me. He said they've actually never ordered a custom bike like that for a customer. I'm gonna try one more dealer that's kinda close to me and see what they say. Like others have said, I'm not gonna settle. I know what I want and how I want it and if they can't get it for me then I'm just gonna have to keep trying different dealers until I find one that's willing to help.

And another question... What's the going rate for dealer fees that they tack on to the price of the bike? Every bike they had had at least 800 bucks worth of dealer set up fees broken down into 3 different categories.
on my HD-1 build they totaled everything and had me put 10% down to garuantee that I wanted the bike and then submitted it to Harley. on a HD-1 bike they charged me freight and doc fees...think it was $900 total

2013 HD-1 bike build FXDBP103 Street Bob Black:
103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Short Shots w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar w/ luggage rack, Sundowner Two Seat, Smoked Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
icprules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #25 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Freight is $335

Setup fee is a scam. Bikes are now shipped assembled on a metal pallet. Setup consists of undoing the straps and rolling it off the pallet, removing protective plastic, and perhaps a wash..... Tell them you want it delivered to you still on the pallet and see what they say!

Documentation fee is a scam.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

The dealer fees are ussually:
Freights $335 to ship it from hd factory to the dealer.

Setup: $330. Uncrating bike. Mounting bars. Filling with fluids. Checking all fasteners. Touring they put on fairing and tour pacs.

Doc fees: $200. Dmv title, tag, lein fees. And any bank fees associated with your loan.

Atleast thats what my dealer told me when i bought mine. But they include the 1k service free. Swith purchase of new bike.
2010hdultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #27 (permalink)

Dealer I bought my bike from said a set up fee was a scam. Most have it included in the price so they can offer you with a "free" first service. There is nothing for them to do really other than take it out of the crate.

The way it was explained to me the set up fee was $330. The cost of the first service would be $230. Many bikes are not taken back to the dealer where they are bought simply because the dealer isn't close.

Even though I wasn't thrilled with paying MSRP for my bike the more I read on here the happier I am with my dealer.
Hunt/fish 365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010hdultra View Post
The dealer fees are ussually:
Freights $335 to ship it from hd factory to the dealer.

Setup: $330. Uncrating bike. Mounting bars. Filling with fluids. Checking all fasteners. Touring they put on fairing and tour pacs.

Doc fees: $200. Dmv title, tag, lein fees. And any bank fees associated with your loan.

Atleast thats what my dealer told me when i bought mine. But they include the 1k service free. Swith purchase of new bike.
On another forum, when 2013 bikes were first out I saw a picture of a couple of Road Glides sitting in the parking lot at a HD dealer. Bikes were still on crates and still had straps & plastic wrap on. Bars were on, fairings & bags were on. And it is my understanding all bikes are started and ran, at least a little, at the factory so fluids are in when the dealer gets it. And I don't know the amount but HD pays dealers a PDI (pre delivery inspection) fee to get the bike ready to sell. Bottom line is that "dealer prep" is BS. But...., with both cars and bikes, the general public has come to accept the prep as something they have to live with. And the "documentation" fee(s) is also total BS. The girl at the dealership has to do some paperwork to get your title issued, and maybe has to coordinate with your bank or whoever if you finance, but that is the dealer's cost of doing business and the dealer should eat that. But again, the public has come to accept that. I believe the only legit fee is freight. I know with cars the factory charges every dealer, regardless of how far they are from the factory, the same freight charge per vehicle. So, if you can't negotiate that fee away at least feel better knowing it is a real charge the dealer has to pay.
So what's next? Maybe a "rental" fee for the bike taking up showroom space until you or I buy it?

Louisville Joe
Louisville Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #29 (permalink)

Another update:

The dealer stepped up...big time. Went back there today just to talk some numbers and see what they could do. They first came back with a price of $18k and some change...I almost fell out my chair. I told the guy I can go on the website and build this bike just like that and it'll only come out to like $15k...so he went back in his office and came back out with a price of $15800 and bumped the price of my trade up $1500. This was all for the red and white street bob that I really didn't want. The manager kept asking me what do I want/what will it take me to buy today. I told him I want the exact bike but in denim black. So he went on again about the custom ordering process and how they can't build another one until they sell this one blah blah. So I said you got 2 other black street bobs in stock, can you swap the fenders and tank so I can get what I want. And they actually did it. So I'll pick it up tomorrow after they get everything swapped over. I really can't believe they were willing to do that for me. Here are some pics of how it's set up now...103, forward controls, drag bars, red spoke wheels and a different seat. When I pick it up it'll look the same but with the black paint.

I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see it with the black denim paint!!
sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #30 (permalink)

Garage
Congratulations, man!

Sent from my SCH-I500
ImJason is offline   Reply With Quote