Finally rode one...couple of questions. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Specific Model Areas > Dyna General Discussions

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Finally rode one...couple of questions.

Well I finally got off my lazy butt and when down to the dealer and test rode some bikes. I rode a stock wide glide and a street bob with the 103, forward controls and drag bars. I mainly went in there wanting a street bob just like the one rode, but the this one had red wheels and the red/white custom paint scheme. I asked the guy if he could order me another street bob just like that one but a different color, and he said no. Then I mentioned the HD bike builder on the web site and how you can set it up the way you want it, print out the sheet and bring it to the dealer and let them order it...well he said they don't do that. He says they only get 1 custom bike to order every so often and that option won't be available for a while. He had 5 other street bob's in stock but none had the 103 or drag bars.

Now the wide glide felt pretty similar to the street bob, but the bars on the WG had a slight bend inwards where as the street bobs were more straight. It also felt like I was leaned back a little bit more on the WG...and they both could have used a little more leg room but he said they do have an "extreme" forward controls kit they could put on it.

So my question is, do I try to find another dealer that is willing to order the bike I want, or do I suck it up and just get the WG?

I come from years of riding sport bikes (current bike is a '11 gsxr 750) and I was really surprised at how easy the Harley was to ride. I was really expecting it to feel a lot heavier than it actually was. It felt very natural and I could really see my self riding one for a long time.
sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Nad

I too always rode sport bikes. I got into the Harley's in 04 my last bike was a zx10r, I have had a softail, I built a bobber, now I have a street bob with a 106 cui. My advice to you is get what you want I think the street bob is more aggressive and the rake is 5 degree less with a 19 front. So you coming from a Gsxr will probably be happier with the street bob. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will be interested to hear from those more experienced... But I find it hard to believe that Harley doesn't let their dealers order what a customer wants. Oh yea... I would suggest getting the bike you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Mad Dog 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
gorilla glue tuff

That's b/s. If it's an official HD dealer they should be able to find you the color you want. My dealer looked for a blue wide glide at the other dealers. Nobody had one at the time, and it would have cost me an extra 500 I think he said for shipping and what not. I got a red one that I ended up liking more than the blue I wanted, so it worked out for me. If your dealer didn't even look around for the color you wanted I would definitely take my business elsewhere, and get the bike you want. I have a wide glide and love it, but when I went to the dealer I had known for 2 years it was the bike I wanted and nothing was going to change my mind. If the street bob with a specific color is what you want, DON'T settle for anything less.

I don't know anything about the bike builder, but if the have it then why the hell would they only be able to get one custom bike a year. that just doesn't make sense to me. They give you the option to build your own, but you have to be the lucky guy who came in at the right time of year Go somewhere else if it's not too far!
Screamin eagle heavy breather (check)
14 inch evil ape's with 1" riser
lepera daddy long legs seat
Frosty4232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 64 View Post
Oh yea... I would suggest getting the bike you want.
Yup! No sense in buying a new vehicle (Harley or otherwise) and not getting exactly what you want.

If you really like that dealer, you could do a dealer to dealer transfer. Otherwise just buy from a dealer that can get what you want.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Test ride a Fat Bob, they come stock with a 103ci, forwards, drag bars, and dual disk front brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
b3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty4232 View Post

I don't know anything about the bike builder, but if the have it then why the hell would they only be able to get one custom bike a year. that just doesn't make sense to me. They give you the option to build your own, but you have to be the lucky guy who came in at the right time of year Go somewhere else if it's not too far!
Here ya go.... Sportsters and the Street Bob are the only ones that you can do factory customs on.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_U...11-26-14-17-28
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

get what you want
buckanear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Find a new dealer. That one sound like a POS. if they give you that kind of attitude before the sale I can just imagine how attentive they'll be after they have your money.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have an HD-1 build and had no problems ordering it through my dealership. In fact they had recieved 2 others at the same time, 1 had the hard candy red paint. I find it hard to believe they would be willing to loose a sale over that. Wait, actually I'm not. Because you pay what Harley charges you, not the dealership. Also you pay for the freight and documentation fees. Last, if you financing then you would be paying interest. That would be the only thing I know about. When I go into the dealership to pick up my wife's helmet that she ordered I'll ask them.

2013 HD-1 bike build FXDBP103 Street Bob Black:
103 CI Motor, H-D Smart Alarm, V&H Short Shots w/ Heat Shield Powder Coated, V&H Air Cleaner, V&H Fuelpak, Willie G Skull Theme (Grips, Pegs, Fuel Gauge, Fuel Cap, Shifter, Brake, Etc), 16" Apes-Chrome, Black Forward Controls, Rigid Locking Saddlebags, Sissy Bar w/ luggage rack, Sundowner Two Seat, Smoked Signal and Brake lenses w/LED's, Tank Bra, Engine Guard w/ Highway Pegs
icprules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote