"BackOff" Rear Light Module - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Black Knight

"BackOff" Rear Light Module

Has anyone installed a 'BackOff' rear brake light module? It flashes the brake light a few times when you apply the brakes. I'm contemplating getting one but would like to hear some feedback and also am not sure which wire under the seat is the brake light wire I'll need to cut into.

Thanks
jestoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have installed a number of them and they work great. It is a simple install. There are three different model that BackOff makes. You can go to the website at www.SignalDynamics.com and click on Products, then Lighting Control. There are three models to chose from: "BackOFF", "BackOFF XP" and "BackOFF Brake Hold". On the item page you select there is a wiring diagram and instructions link. When order the item, you will receive the same instruction info.

Regarding the brake light wire color it will be either solid red or red with a yellow stripe, depending on the year and make of your bike. If you need further help let me know, I'll be glad to help. Walt
SDC Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Black Knight

Thanks Walt.
I picked one up tonight, the "BackOFF" model.
I have an '09 Electraglide and have not yet taken the seat off in search of the correct wire to cut. Tomorrow's going to be another wet day up here in NJ so it sounds like the perfect day to install it. Appreciate your help.
Jim
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Jim
One thing you may want to consider if you have brake lights up in the trunk, I would consider mounting the module so that both brake light flash in the trunk. They will be more visible to following drivers. If your trunk lights function as turn signal and brake lights I would not use the BackOFF in the trunk because it could cause confusion to a following driver if the turn signal and brake were used together. I would then mount the BackOFF so that it works the fender brake light only. I hope this helps and if you have further questions let me know. Kindly regards Walt
SDC Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Black Knight

Hello Walt.
I don't have any lights on the trunk, I went with the quick-release rack and didn't want to bother with detachable light connections. I stopped at the HD dealer this morning and asked the service tech to show me the wiring schematic for the rear light display unit. It was the red/yellow wire. I hooked it up under the seat when I got home, took me about 15 minutes. Works fine and will take it out tonight after dark. Thanks for your help.

Stay safe, but ride.
Jim