Security/Turn signal issues - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Security/Turn signal issues

I have a 2002 FLHT with security system. When the ignition is put in the "on" position, both turn signals flash several times, and the security light stays on. I can put on the four way flashers on, and the security light will stay off until I activate the left turn signal. No problem with the right signal. Occasionally the left signals will blink real fast.

This happened once before, last summer, but went away on its own. I should note that I have a Kuryakin LED tail light and turn signals. The LED's have been on the bike for several years without incident. I took off the seat and bypassed the LED harness, but there is no change. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
johnmc906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Water in the light housings or the controller / ballast is going bad .
Check in at the New to the Community section while you're at it and ya might get some more feed back .
Old 12-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

tssm might be having problems, no way of testing that without putting another one in, and go introduce yourself ha

04 FLHP- PROJECT GOT WOOD... COMING SPRING.

"You never see a herse with a luggage rack..."

Last edited by serviceguy85; 12-30-2009 at 08:36 AM.
serviceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceguy85 View Post
tssm might be having problems, now way of teating that without putting another one in, and go introduce yourself ha
YES ... if the turn signals all flash several times after turning on the ignition the ECM has a stored code for the TSSM system . Use the trip meter button to read the codes . There's a " sticky " here that explains the procedure .
Old 12-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
YES ... if the turn signals all flash several times after turning on the ignition the ECM has a stored code for the TSSM system . Use the trip meter button to read the codes . There's a " sticky " here that explains the procedure .
yup yup, btw thanks for quoting me, i looked at it and my spelling was horrible ha

04 FLHP- PROJECT GOT WOOD... COMING SPRING.

"You never see a herse with a luggage rack..."
serviceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, guys, will look into it!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmc906 View Post
I have a 2002 FLHT with security system. When the ignition is put in the "on" position, both turn signals flash several times, and the security light stays on. I can put on the four way flashers on, and the security light will stay off until I activate the left turn signal. No problem with the right signal. Occasionally the left signals will blink real fast.

This happened once before, last summer, but went away on its own. I should note that I have a Kuryakin LED tail light and turn signals. The LED's have been on the bike for several years without incident. I took off the seat and bypassed the LED harness, but there is no change. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
I got the diagnostic codes, it is showing the left and right turn signals have a problem, and a side note says this could also be a failure of the TS/SM module. Since I don't have one of those laying around, I think I will let the dealer play with it. I am going to be using Barb's H/D in Collingswood, NJ for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or another dealer in that area? Previous services and repairs were done in either North Jersey of Florida. Thanks again for your assistance to those who answered me.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
I got the diagnostic codes, it is showing the left and right turn signals have a problem, and a side note says this could also be a failure of the TS/SM module. Since I don't have one of those laying around, I think I will let the dealer play with it. I am going to be using Barb's H/D in Collingswood, NJ for the first time. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or another dealer in that area? Previous services and repairs were done in either North Jersey of Florida. Thanks again for your assistance to those who answered me.
What are the code numbers that came up ???
Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Codes were 21 and 22. I do not have the the sheet handy to say exactly what they are.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Codes were 21 and 22. I do not have the the sheet handy to say exactly what they are.
Should be a B , P or U followed by 4 numbers . :mwink