Up in smoke! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Up in smoke!

This is my second post here (first was intro) and trying to figure out an electrical issue from a chopper I inherited (S&S 113, hardtail/springer front). Long story short, my bro's buddy tried to jump start the bike and ended up crossing the jumper cables...smoke ensued. Anyway, I picked up the bike last Sunday and put a new battery in it. Went to reconnect the positive wire from one of the electrical breakers (traced wires connected to the copper post: wire from regulator and to positive battery post. Silver post: Ignition switch.) This was how it was connected prior to new battery install. Well when I touched the wire from the copper post to the positive battery post, it got hot real quick and I pulled it off before smoking too much! Is there anyway to find out what the hell happened to the electrical system when this dude crossed the battery connections? Is there a way to test the regulator to see if it got fried? Have multimeter and standing by...
Hazegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sure you will get someone here to help just give it a few. The Knowledge that is here is astounding. Sorry I can't be the one to help ya but it shouldn't take long.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm not good at things I can't see but my first thought is to start checking with an ohm meter from the positive cable to ground looking for the short. If you get a closed circuit then try tracing things on down stream. If it's in places such as the voltage regulator, ignition, ect. you can unhook them and see if the short goes away. Since it's a chopper are there any wires hidden inside the tubing? Could have fried a wire and shorting there. Maybe this will give you a start.
gtoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take at look at these wiring diagrams, they might help you out some.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiringT.jpg (75.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg wiring1.jpg (195.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 20080821083617274_0001.jpg (34.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg wiringS.jpg (54.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

yeah, wires going into the frame and out everywhere! I took off the tank and now jiggling wires and such. Would the crossing the jumper cables fry something into straight ground? That's what that wire going from the circuit breaker to the positive battery cable acts like...sparks then gets real hot quick.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, so I pulled the Voltage Reg wire from the frame and it looks good, no fraying/burnt spots. With the Voltage Reg wire off the circuit breaker, the connection yields no spark when connected to positive battery terminal. However, when I add the Voltage Reg wire back on, it acts like a direct short. Could the Voltage Reg be internally shorted out?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's possible but it could also be something down stream of the regulator. I'd check any other wires from the reg. for a short. One of the wires at the reg. may be a ground wire or it may be grounded thru the case. It could be a wire to the alt. or generator shorted. I'm sure someone here at the forum can tell you how to ringout the regulator.
gtoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Kustom Bike Builder

Pull the regulator plug and check it to grd. one poll at a time, they shouldn't show a short but should have cont. .003 ohm or something like that. if it shows a dead short, then the reg. is most likely fried. If not shorted than do the same with the stator if shorted its fried! I don't see how reverseing the battery on a jump would cause that kind of damage unless he hooked it up for a long time....damn battery should have blown!!! Just my !

If I could put my hands on the bike, I'd finger it out in no time....
Crocodile56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll check it out tomorrow...gotta work graveyard shift. I'll perform tests and report back.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The breaker should have saved the reg. but if it didn't then the diodes in the reg. failed . If hooking the reg. wire to the breaker is causing the wire to heat up the reg. is probably toast . Also test the pos. batt. cable to ground , should be open if disconnected . Also take a hard look for wires that would have melted casings and be grounding out . Test stator for opens and shorts with the plug disconnected from the reg. .