no low beam - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

2009 Ultra Classic no low beam

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic. Low beam and the two front spot lights do not illuminate. High beam and all other electronics working fine.

Last edited by bdd183; 07-07-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: changed title
bdd183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cloud Dancer

I too have an 09 Ultra, but the running lights don't illuminate with low beam, only on high beam. Sounds like maybe your lowbeam element is burnt out maybe.....
Airdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Mine was just the opposite. Running lights only illuminated on low beam. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd183 View Post
Mine was just the opposite. Running lights only illuminated on low beam. Thanks anyway.
IMO . Low beam headlamp filiment is burnt out . If the passing lamps don't work check the fuses . Also '09 is still in warranty !
Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Running lights on when switch is turned on only when on low beam.
When highbeam is on, only the highbeam works. 09 Electra Glide Classic.

Mine is also a Canadian bike this may make a difference, we have to have lights on all the time. They still say they can't see us, I think they're all sleeping at the wheel. LOL
Old 07-07-2010, 02:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks
Old 08-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Mine starting to do the same thing. When I use the High Beam with the passing lights at same time. It only shows up when I shut down and then start up my bike. I have to start the bike and turn the high beam swith off and then turn the passing lights on and off a couple of times. So far this has corrected the problem. I only just returned from a 5000 kM trip when this started to ocurr and as such I haven't had a chance to sort out the problem. There is a relay in the system that turns the Passing lights on and off when you turn the High Beam on and off. I suspect this is where the problem is but don't know for sure yet. My bike is still under warrantee. I also put a zeon bulb in mine which also might be causing a bit of a heat issue. If your low beam isn't burnt out I would think you have a problem with your High/Low/Passing Light relay which could get expensive. I would have it corrected while you still have warrantee.
Even if your Low Beam is burnt out your passing lights should work properly. Your High Beam should also work properly as well. When you put your High Beam on your passing lights should turn off and vice versa. If your low beam is burnt out then it just won't light up when you put the High/Low Beam switch to the low beam position.
Nute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

I took it back to the dealer, they corrected the problem under warranty. It was the relay and low/high beam switch. Thanks for your response.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdog22 View Post
I too have an 09 Ultra, but the running lights don't illuminate with low beam, only on high beam.
That's the way it is from the factory. Either has to do with alt output , or maybe too much light to oncoming traffic. I , tired of cagers saying "I didn't see him!" , rewired my bikes and run a 60/100 H-4 bulb in addition to halogen spots. Great for people who won't dim their highbeams. If they don't see me , it's because my lights burned their retnas out!
pb68slab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
STAND AND FIGHT!

DOH! If your car has fog lamps, per DOT regs, they also disable when you go to brights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb68slab View Post
...rewired my bikes and run a 60/100 H-4 bulb in addition to halogen spots.
Great for people who won't dim their highbeams. If they don't see me , it's because my lights burned their retnas out!

Keep in mind, if the oncoming a driver is blinded by your rudeness and bad planning,

the person he is MOST likely to kill is YOU!

I'm thumbs up on the rewiring, and I also run hi-zot bulbs, but they are 65W-70.

I've probably spent as much money and time as anybody on increased lighting, but I ALWAYS

go out at a distance and see how bad it affects oncoming traffic. Even I wish I could

throw a rock at the jerk sport biker going by with HID on full.

Remember Karma, and the rule, ... Time Wounds All Heels.

Some days you feel like TORQUE!
Some days you feel like HORSEPOWER!

Once you establish yourself as an eccentric,
you rarely have to explain your actions.

Something a guy at a HD parts counter told me 30 years ago,
"You know what I'd do with that bike if it was mine? RIDE IT! Nothin' else ."
Nathang is offline   Reply With Quote