Help! DTC's - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Help! DTC's

Okay! 2008 FLHTP! Voltage would drop steadily and drastically, after the bike got really warmed up. I guessed, bad battery, so I bought a new one and installed it. Took it for a spin, same problem! (glad I spent that $140.00) Then I wised up and got some advice from my parts supplier/repair shop guy, (HD competitor and ex employee) and he advised me how to test the voltage regulator vs. the stator. Eureka, Voltage Regulator! So I run the voltage test to eliminate the stator, (purchased the V R at H D, only because I had a $50 gift card for there, broke my heart to do it too) and change the regulator following step by step in the service manual, ($195 more) ugh! Now the bike runs great, voltage gauge reads 14v, but engine light comes on after a ride. I check the DTC's and get p0113 (IAT sensor voltage open/high EFI) and p0562 (battery voltage low) Why?
Unfortunately, I do not have an Electrical Diagnostics Manual, (yet) so I'm praying someone here can lend me some advice. (cause I'd feel like a "user" if I go back to my guy regarding this again) Help! Please!
Khris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
I'll help you hide the body

maybe you could pay the guy? That way you wont have to feel like you are mooching...

And watch out for RB1

borrowed from gtrman66
Rules:
#1. Post #1: "New to Community"
#2. Buy a HD Service Manual, best $70 you'll spend
#3. Try the search function, we might have already answered your question
#4. Don't post classifieds until you meet the rules
#5. Don't bad mouth dealers until we know you, there are always 2 sides
misinlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The codes were most likely set before the problem got fixed and are now historic codes . Clear the codes to see if they come back . The procedure is a sticky in the electrical section .
Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
I don't have a Electrical Diagnostics Manual either. How do you test the IAT, E/T and TP sensors. The 3 codes I can not clear. The bike wasn't even started and codes don't clear why would the computer think there is still a problem?
'08 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded)
'09 Softail Custom Traded 10/13
'09 Springer CVO Screaming Eagle
'10 CVO Screaming Eagle Softail Custom Convertible
'11 Nightster XL 1200N (Traded for CVO)
'07 Thunder Mountain Chopper (w/ 103 HD Screaming Eagle) Traded 10/13
09 Softail C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 Softail C View Post
I don't have a Electrical Diagnostics Manual either. How do you test the IAT, E/T and TP sensors. The 3 codes I can not clear. The bike wasn't even started and codes don't clear why would the computer think there is still a problem?
Test with a Digital Tech computer or a Scanalyzer . Like I said , the codes set when the symptoms were present . The codes don't go away by themselves just because the problem was fixed . If the engine light comes back on after the bike starts then goes back off they are historic codes not current codes . If the problem is current the engine light will stay on constant . Is everything hooked back up to factory original ???
Old 07-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sorry I didn't provide enough info. The engine light comes on and stays on. My fuel management device burned a hole thru it and damaged the 36 pin ECM connector. The connector and 4 pins were replaced. I have not replaced the fuel management device yet. (should be here tomorrow) I am guessing the bike is running lean with the V&H Short Shots and Big Sucker and no fuel management. But the codes would not clear after connector was replaced and before it was started. No other work was done.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Engine light staying on means there's something wrong . If the fm system burned a hole in the ECM connector then it's possible the ECM took a hit from it . Probably gonna have to take the bike in to get hooked up to the Digital Tech computer .
Old 07-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
That's what I am afraid of. I'll see what happens after I put the Power Vision on tomorrow night. THANKS!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it was my bike I wouldn't hook up a new fuel management device until I had the ECM checked. When your old FM unit smoked it possibly sent transient voltage all up and down the line; as someone mentioned in a previous post, your ECM could have taken a hit. Electrical problems on late model vehicles of all types are difficult to diagnose and repair without the proper diagnostic equipment. Throwing a part on and hoping it works is probably not the right way to go.

Just my .02. Good luck, at any rate. Hope you get the problem figured out and yourself back on the road.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks it is at the stealer for a diagnosis. Hopefully it is just the TP Sensor.