points & fireing problem ? 1978 shovel head - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

points & fireing problem ? 1978 shovel head

I have a Harley Super guide 1978 model it still has the same points in it when I got it in 1980 .Where is the best place to get points for it on line and how hard are they to install do you have to adjust them. My bike only has 14,000 miles on it I do not ride much any more after a wreck years ago . Sometimes when I turn the key on to crank it its getting fire and sometimes its not it comes and goes but once it starts it seems to run all right but I guess i would start with the points also could the coil work part of the time and not part of the time thanks. any and all help would be app. Bronson
free1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

I'd just look at em first see if they are pitted or transfering metal even so I've filed em level and reused them.

J and P cycle's is online and carries vintage stuff. HD ought to carry em but that far back dont know hav'nt had to look

Yes far as I know they'll have to be re gapped when you install a new set that would be in an owners manual or service manual for the right specs on that. somebody here might know it off the top of their head.

Last edited by vlade; 12-10-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spulin
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
SNAFU organizer

I wouldnt worry about the coil yet. You might be right on track with points first the cam lob rider could just be worn out needing points to be reset and a little grease. Or pitting and stuff can make em hard firing.

Then too if you havnt had a new set of plugs or checked em in a long time this could be the right time
vlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

To begin with.
The points listed for a 6 cylinder Chevrolet{about a 69 or so}are the same and the condensor too just make sure the wire is long enough.
If You do`nt have a book get one You will need it to go through the timing sequence after the points are properly gapped.
The points cam needs to be turned and locked in the full advance position with a special little clamp tool to get the static timing right.Bring no 1 on TDC and with the timing plug removed from the side of the crankcase bring the mark into the window{I do`nt remember if it is the o or the l line that designates no1 and You can put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel to get it there}using an ohmeter You want the points to just break open.You can use a 12 volt trouble light hooked to the points wire and with the ign.switch on rotate the points plate until the light just comes on.After the static timing is set then remove the static timing tool and then You can set the timing with a timing light.
There is a clear window plug that You will need to set the timing with a timing light .If You do`nt have one of these clear window plugs get one as the spray and squirt of oil that will come from the unplugged hole makes a big mess in a hurry.I know.
screw in the clear timing window.Rev the engine to around 2 thousand RPMs and check the timing by shining the timing light into the clear timing window.Adjust as needed by rotating the points mounting plate to get the mark in the center of the window.
The timing tool and the clear plastic window are not expensive and are tools that should be in every shovelhead owners tool bin.
I hope I get it all in there,Its been a loooong time since i`ve done points on a shovel head.
MrMarty51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlade View Post
I wouldnt worry about the coil yet. You might be right on track with points first the cam lob rider could just be worn out needing points to be reset and a little grease. Or pitting and stuff can make em hard firing.

Then too if you havnt had a new set of plugs or checked em in a long time this could be the right time
I forgot about mechanical advance.Thanks for the reminder.
If the advance mechanism is froze up or not working properly that needs to be repaired before a points job can be a success.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
I think Marty nailed it.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Also on the mechanical advance unit.
Sometimes there will be wear spots that will cause them to bind and not advance and retard properly.
I use a file and dress the worn spots to keep them working smooth then use a moly base light weight grease to lube them with.Just do`nt overdo it with the grease.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

I use to take a dollar bill and fold it a couple times. Then open up the points and stick the folded bill in there and polish up the contacts. Worked pretty slick...
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote