1156 LED bulbs - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
1156 LED bulbs

I have a 2000 electra glide and I recently put the module from harley that converts the rear directionals to running light / brake light and directional. I run smoked lenses so i bought red 1156 bulbs. I wanted something a little brighter so i bought some red led 1156 bulbs. Bingo alot brighter and has alot deeper red color through the smoked lenses. My problem is they dont flash as a directional. When i turn on the directional the arrow on the dash stays solid and lights dont flash. So i put my standard red 1156 bulbs back in and everything works normal. Any suggestions??
NHGLIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
You need a load equalizer. The LED bulbs draw so little current that they can't activate the flasher.

The best solution is product from badlands Motorcycle Products. It is a patented design that doesn't generate any heat as many of them do. It won't burn out like a lot of them do.

If you can return the run/stop/turn module that you bought, you can get a module that is the load equalizer and R/S/T in one. It just plugs in. Very easy. It's called the Illuminateor.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the info. Ive had the Harley module for a couple weeks so i cant return it. Is my best option to buy an equalizer to plug in between my module and rear light harness? If so any particular type of equalizer i should get?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHGLIDE View Post
Thanks for the info. Ive had the Harley module for a couple weeks so i cant return it. Is my best option to buy an equalizer to plug in between my module and rear light harness? If so any particular type of equalizer i should get?
Yes. You can add a load balancer. I'd still buy the balancer only product from badlands. It's the one people end up buying after the first one you buy fails.

Just call them. They'll help you out.

You'll love the LEDs. I've swapped out all of my lights for them.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproduct...cts/BETCSM.htm

LE-03-A is probably it.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks again for the info. I had the leds in today and they definetly look alot better and are alot brighter.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
Badlands Motorcycle Products

LE-03-A is probably it.
Thanks again for the tip on the illuminator. I got lucky and sold my HD module to a buddy that has no plans of running led's .I ordered my new illuminator over the weekend and should have it wed.

My next upgrade will be ditching the led 1156 bulbs and going with a good set of led inserts, looking at the radiantz brand. If any one has other suggestion on good inserts id like to hear about them.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
I have the Radianz. They are great.

There's an LED thread here in electrical that I started a while back. A lot of guys commented about what they are using.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Better than a load equalizer is to use an electronic
flasher, plugs into the the socket with no mods and they are not load dependent
Old 05-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtech View Post
Better than a load equalizer is to use an electronic
flasher, plugs into the the socket with no mods and they are not load dependent
The illuminator/equalizer product from Badlands is, in effect, an electronic flasher. It just plugs inline instead of plugging in the flasher socket. It is a solid state device that detects current in the circuit and manages the flashing. It doesn't load the circuit in any way through resistance. That's why it is preferred. It generates no heat, doesn't burn out and doesn't limit use of the flashers and/or hazards in any way.

And to the OP:

If you decide to swap out the whole rear end, there is a nice little dual intensity cluster you can get for the fender tip. It plugs into the taillight housing and, when used with a run/stop/turn rig, you get four lights with brighter intensity when the brakes are applied. It's very cool.