Rear Brake Light Switch Problems - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Rider

Garage
Rear Brake Light Switch Problems

Any one have a "recall" kit installed and have the new switch fail?

I got a 2010 FLHTCU that appears to have a new/recalled switch on it but today my brakes lights started sticking ON.

I read that Harley said the old switch would get too hot because its too close to the exhaust and fail but they only replaced the switch and didn't provide any sort of heat shield.

I need some ammo when I take my bike in because I don't want to get stuck paying for a switch that is going to burn up every 5k miles.

"I know who I am and I know who you are and nothing else matters. All that does matter is the life we live." -Bobby Dunbar (Bruce Anderson)
"Lead and extraordinary life" -Hellen
"You found your purpose in life...don't f**k it up!" -Auntie Ruth

1975 Yamaha XS500
2002 Suzuki Volusia
2010 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - Totaled 9-24-13
2014 Electra Glide Ultra Classic - April 2014!!!
Da_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Mack View Post
Any one have a "recall" kit installed and have the new switch fail?

I got a 2010 FLHTCU that appears to have a new/recalled switch on it but today my brakes lights started sticking ON.

I read that Harley said the old switch would get too hot because its too close to the exhaust and fail but they only replaced the switch and didn't provide any sort of heat shield.

I need some ammo when I take my bike in because I don't want to get stuck paying for a switch that is going to burn up every 5k miles.
Talk nicely when you go in, it'll help...
webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

If it was fixed under recall and now failed, I'd imagine they need to make it right....

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
SwampRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If it was fixed under recall and now failed, I'd imagine they need to make it right....
What Dave Said .. Did the recall thing on mine and it survived the record heat summer here in FL as well as Texas and AZ .. Still works fine, although curious what they say is wrong ..
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Da_Mack, make sure it's not the front switch causing the lights to stay on. If the switch housing and the brake lever clamp aren't butted up tight the front switch will keep the lights on.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
Da_Mack, make sure it's not the front switch causing the lights to stay on. If the switch housing and the brake lever clamp aren't butted up tight the front switch will keep the lights on.
I'm pretty confident its the rear switch. I was messing with it in the garage last night. I pulled the front brake numerous times and the lights functioned correctly. 2 different times when I pressed the brake pedal, the lights would stick on. I also got the following code:

DTC: P0572
FAULT CONDITION: Brake switch low
PRIORITY ORDER: 55
SOLUTION: 6.13 DTC P0572

"I know who I am and I know who you are and nothing else matters. All that does matter is the life we live." -Bobby Dunbar (Bruce Anderson)

1975 Yamaha XS500
2002 Suzuki Volusia
Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rider

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by webco2 View Post
Talk nicely when you go in, it'll help...
I'll behave...I promise.

I had read on a couple other forums where eventually the new switches are failing. It seems that Harley has replaced the switch but still has a heat issue from the switch being right next o the cat converter. If you have after market exhaust, the cat is moved or gone and its no longer an issue.

1975 Yamaha XS500
2002 Suzuki Volusia
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
SwampRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Mack View Post
I'll behave...I promise.

I had read on a couple other forums where eventually the new switches are failing. It seems that Harley has replaced the switch but still has a heat issue from the switch being right next o the cat converter. If you have after market exhaust, the cat is moved or gone and its no longer an issue.

That makes a little more sense .. Never had a CAT to start with and have Rinehart 2:1 now anyway ...

Old 10-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Rider

Garage
So I take the bike into the dealer. They say it is definitely the rear brake light switch. My extended warranty has a $50 deductible and the final cost to me is $39 part and labor. I asked the kid why I was being charged for a defective part that was supposed to replace another defective part and he tells me that the first part was a recall and it was free????

I asked if the switch had a warranty and he said "yes" for 1 year. On a print out he handed me earlier it showed that the recall switch was installed 10-31-11. I told him that I still had 2 more days on the warranty of the recall switch. The kid tells me that "there is no warranty on a part installed under a recall because it was free" ............WTF?

I didn't want to argue with the kid for $39 so I got my documentation and dates of these switches and I think I'll try to send them to HD along with their recall claim form.

After its all done, I think there is still and issue with the brake switch being located too close to the cat converter and they need to install some sort of a heat shield. I just don't like the idea that my personal safety comes down to a $17 switch.

1975 Yamaha XS500
2002 Suzuki Volusia
Old 11-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

interesting. I replaced mine in June and now it's sticking again also.