Improving the headlight - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
On Probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley Rider View Post
I know a lot of people like PIAA bulbs but I for one will never buy them again. I paid a lot of money for them and went through 6 of them in about 3 months. Each of them either burned out one or both of the filaments. Thinking it must be a problem in my wiring, I checked everything out and it was all fine. Put in an el cheapo bulb and not had another problem in 3 years now. I'll never waste my money on PIAA crap again.
When installing bulbs DO NOT touch with bare fingers or they will burn out quickly. Never had a problem with the PIAA bulbs.
SE Ventilator
SE Super Tuner
Jackpot Stainless Header
Rinehart 4" Muffs

I'll try to be nicer........if you try to be smarter.
HDSickness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDSickness View Post
When installing bulbs DO NOT touch with bare fingers or they will burn out quickly. Never had a problem with the PIAA bulbs.
Good advice on not touching the bulbs. But I knew about that and was very careful to follow that rule. Maybe I just got several from a bad lot? I ordered them all at once from the same place because I was putting them in auto headlights as well. But that was just my experience with them. I've since replaced all of them with the cheapest auto parts store bulbs I could get and haven't had any of the cheapies burn out on me after more than 3 years of use.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

LED if you can change it out. Great difference, if you want to go that way.
Wild hog md is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Performance Monger

I use a "super white" 55/100 from Motovan. #04-156. They are cheap as beans and work awesome as an upgrade.

Back tires, smoke em if you got em!
Watch me smoke em on my homepage.
Smokin Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
PHXPhil

I've replaced the stock bulb with the P.I.A.A. Super Plasma GX. It last 1.5 yrs. and had a blue/purple tint on Low. Was great otherwise. Now I'm running a P.I.A.A. Super White. Also a good bulb without the purple.

I have been warned not to go beyond the stock wattage - heavier wiring or not - because the higher wattage will generate enough heat in the shell to do other damage.

I find these bulbs to do the job for me at stock wattage and I didn't want to pay to go the LED or HID route. I'd try the easy/lower cost route before considering the extra $$$ solutions.
phubacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #16 (permalink)

If I was to replace my OEM headlight on a 1993 FLHTC for a brighter light, without a major project, what would be my best option?
russelblue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #17 (permalink)
Older than Dirt

Riding at night here in Kansas is getting so dangerous during the summer that I try to avoid it with a passion. Several riders have been killed on Interstate highways by deer and the rural blacktop roads almost seem like a nightly meeting place for them. This gets a little away from what headlight works best but deer come up out of the ditches so quickly that is barely matters what headlamp you have.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
I installed the Harley Davidson headlight that has the separate halogen bulb for the high beam and low beam. It replaced the sealed beam light in my 2004 heritage. It made a huge difference in the amount of lighting produced. Visibility is significantly improved.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
This lamp is by far the best bang for the buck out there atm, however the OP is talking about a Sportster which has a smaller bucket size as well as a sorry reflector. I have no experience with those and can't comment on improvement.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
18 wheeler pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL1200R View Post
Amazon.com: Sylvania 9003/HB2 SU/2 BP TWIN SilverStar Ultra Headlight - Pack of 2: Automotive

All ya need IMHO

It is worth a try before ya start ripping into wires and stuff
This is good advice, I have updraded each of my Harley's with set up for years, about $12 at Wally, never had to replace 1 after upgrading. Brighter and wider lite. Money well spent. Plug and play.
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
MPG'S? Who gives a

Garage
I'll prolly go for the Sylvania bulbs. Just gotta figure out which #'s

I like the look-a-like HID'S that Sylvania has...Need all 3 bulbs passing and head light. Juts like the cool blue'ish looking bulbs.