Behold... the Speedominator! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Proud South African

Behold... the Speedominator!

This thread continues from here...

Finally it is complete! After a few months of development, hardware and software design, research into Harley-specific characteristics and general toiling I have completed the speedominator. While photos and general build progress is detailed on the previous thread this one shows the first drive.

Youtube video:

General features:
1. Displays Speed, RPM, current gear, engine temperature, ambient temperature, trip distance/time, battery volts, fuel consumption.
2. Dynamic RPM redline. While the engine is still cold the redline is indicated at about 3000RPM, moving up to the normal limit of 5200 gradually as the engine warms up and reaches operating temperature.
3. RPM shift indicator. The RPM display flashes rapidly to indicate shift. The shift RPM can be specified, or be chosen as a percentage of the redline (e.g. Shift at 80% of the current redline).
4. As I sometimes wonder what a previous trip's distance or duration was I made Speedominator display the last trip's distance, duration, highest rpm and speed at startup. This display remains static until the engine is started, which indicates start of a new trip.
5. After turning off the ignition the same details of this trip is displayed and held for 10 seconds, after which time Speedominator turns itself off to conserve power.
6. Front and rear cylinder temperatures can be viewed individually, in Celcius or Fahrenheit.
7. A seperate distance counter is maintained between refuelling. A fillup can be recorded on Speedominator, and from this the fuel consumption is calculated and can be displayed. The fuel distance counters resets automatically when you refuel, so it can be used as an indication of when to start looking out for filling station.
8. A separate user distance counter is maintained that the user can reset by holding in a button.
9. Wheel size can be specified for speed calibration, and the gears can be individually calibrated.

I made this speedominator measure the speed, RPM and engine temperatures with it's own sensors, that way it is usable on older non-EFI harleys as well. I plan further development to make speedominator read all the data from the ECU's diagnostics port, making for a more plug 'n play solution on EFI based bikes.
OomD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
On Probation

Very cool.........
SE Ventilator
SE Super Tuner
Jackpot Stainless Header
Rinehart 4" Muffs

I'll try to be nicer........if you try to be smarter.
HDSickness is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
I'm speechless.
Nice job man nice job. That is a superb idea and design!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Very cool indeed . Kinda freaked me out at first when I saw the speeds he was doing in the low gears he was in...until I realized in was displaying KPH and not MPH .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
That kicks ass!
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Very Cool

Are you going to try and market these things? Very impressive job you have done.

Pastor Jeff
Pastorjeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Earthbound misfit, I

Nice but I'd probably crash while looking at all the stuff it shows.

I rarely look at the speedo cause it would probably scare me.

Contemplating the silent freeway....
Labradaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
OGC

I can see it now...fuel pack interface tune on the fly to pre-sets. I'll wager Harley would be interested in what you are doing..
OGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Proud South African

Thanks for the accolades, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorjeff View Post
Are you going to try and market these things? Very impressive job you have done.

Pastor Jeff
Thanks, Pastor. Mostly this was done as a "because I can" project, and because I love designing little things. It's my daytime job, and my nighttime hobby. But marketing and any sort of production run is a totally different ball game altogether, and I'm still considering this. The thing is, I never did it for the money to start with... in fact it cost me quite a bit for this prototype. What I'd rather do is to sell off the design to someone who has the ability to market and produce these things.

But let's see what the future holds. Once the diagnostics-port version is complete I'll have one that works on almost any Harley, and then it may become worth it to mass produce.

Ride safe.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Proud South African

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGC View Post
...fuel pack interface tune on the fly to pre-sets....
Now there's an idea worth investigating...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.