Starter - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
azz kicker

Starter

thought I would throw this one out there. I need to replace my starter on my 2006 FLHTPI over the winter. I was wondering what brand to use and would be most dependable. HD, Spyke, Rivera Primo or another aftermarket brand. Can I use a high tourque starter ? I'm getting loud clicks from the starter on a fully charged and load tested battery.
thanks in advance

Last edited by federal officer; 11-13-2012 at 02:35 AM.
federal officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

"Loud clicks", that's a symptom of a discharged battery or a loose connection or a faulty starter relay. Did you inspect all 4 cable connections ?
Before popping for a new starter I would use some jumper wires to bypass the electrical system to make sure the starter isn't working. Unplug the green wire from the starter. Put a jumper cable from the battery positive to the stud on top of the starter then a smaller jumper wire from the battery positive to the spade terminal where the green wire plugs in. The starter should spin and engage the clutch ring gear.
Actually you can try just jumping the green wire terminal by itself first.
If the starter works I would start checking all the connections and relay.
Note: The tests are done with the ignition off.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
azz kicker

you know its kinda been an issue here for me over the last few months with slow starts. So yes I did remove and clean and inspect all the pos. and neg. wires involved. It started hard for a week or two now nothing. Just the loud clicking. I tried jumping it from the car but it won't take the jump. I'll try your suggestion Schmidty. thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

In addition to what Schmidtys suggested, do you have a good digital volt/ohm meter and have you checked the voltage at the relays and at the starter when you push the start button? You could have a problem in a cable somewhere, not just at the connections, that is causing the voltage to drop where the starter puts a load on the cable. i would sure check everything possible before laying out the bucks and labor to put in a new starter and maybe find out it doesn't solve the problem.

Maybe try connecting the Jumper cables from your car with the motor running directly to the terminals on the starter motor and see if it still doesn't work.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bikeless....for now!

Good to see ur still around fed!!
Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
azz kicker

Great ideas guys, I guess my winter will be busy troubleshooting my problem. I might stop by American Harley in Leominster and pick up a new relay. short money for what could be a quick fix. Worst case I keep a spare in my bag for when i do need it.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
bud

Solenoid !

Leo , You have a bad solenoid . The solenoid will be be a esisy fix @ $ 12- $ 15 .
I never wash my bike with any hose pressure water only a saturated old scrap towel . Then blow dry with a leaf blower . Then take a bucket of clean water an a clean scrap towel an keep the towel squezed out while wiping all streaks from the bike . I use only Blue Coral wash soap as it contains wax.
High pressure water will cause most all your electrical failures . Just an old troopers thoughts . Bud 11th Calv. TET 1968 FIRE SUPPORT BASE HARRY RVN
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
azz kicker

thanks troop !! I try and keep away from high pressure water as a rule of thumb.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
azz kicker

Oem # 31504-91b
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

So what are you saying?......... It was a $8 relay? Doesn't get any cheaper than that, for a fix on a Harley. Good deal!
Gliderider is online now   Reply With Quote