Premium Halogen Blubs Worth the $$$??? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Premium Halogen Blubs Worth the $$$???

Found this info re: Premium Halogen Blubs. It doesn't reference motorcycles specifically but I would think the findings would transfer to bikes too.

Judge for yourself.............

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/do-high-...210841757.html
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerbob View Post
Found this info re: Premium Halogen Blubs. It doesn't reference motorcycles specifically but I would think the findings would transfer to bikes too.

Judge for yourself.............

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/do-high-...210841757.html
Your Linky no worky .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

fugg!

try this one.....

Do high-priced halogen headlight bulbs shine brighter? - Yahoo! Autos
huskerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Flat Land Redneck

Interesting to know that one is as good as the other. I try not to have to drive after dark. Seems like oncoming headlights blind me more than they use to.
Old Coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Don't like driving after dark either, but I did buy the top of the line Sylvania bulb and it is like night and day, no pun intended. There is a big difference. Well worth the extra coin IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"What, me worry?" -Alfred E. Neuman
Pappa P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
I replaced my OEM halo's with PIAA Powersports bulbs. Extreme White Plus. They really throw good white light and relatively speaking are more affordable than LED's.
I have the H4 Xtreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb for the main light and Xtreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb for the running lights. I paid about $250 for all 3.

PIAA | Powersport Bulbs

Life Church Riders Group Germantown WI
Riding with our Lord!
Knash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

I tried several of the high end bulbs a few years ago when on a quest for better light in my truck. There MAY have been some slight increase in light output with the Sylvania over OEM, but it was really hard to tell. I even put one in one headlight and left the OEM in the other to compare. The Sylvania did have a slightly whiter light when staring straight into the headlight lens, but on the road or shining on a wall I couldn't tell much difference in either color or brightness. Certainly not enough difference to justify paying several times the price for it. I suppose the difference could be measured with testing equipment like they did in the article, but I was more interested in seeing better than in making a needle on a meter move. I found the tiny increase in light wasn't worth the cost of the bulbs, and they didn't last very long compared to OEM, which had lasted 10 years. (Yes, I know not to touch the bulbs with my fingers. That was not the problem.)

I also tried the PIAAs with the blue tint. They claimed that our eyes see blue light better than other colors so the blue light put out by their bulbs let you see so much better than white light. Not true. I felt like my headlights were turned off on all but the darkest of roads, and then could only see a very dim blue glow in front of me.

I ended up going back to the cheapest bulb on the shelf at Auto Zone and I can see every bit as good as with the Sylvanias and much better than the PIAAs. Also, in 4 years I haven't had any of the cheap ones burn out.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

LED! You wont worry about riding in the dark anymore I promise! I swear by my LED Headlight. It will save lives

Jared
2012 FXDWG
GlideWide is offline   Reply With Quote