Speedometer 5 MPH off? - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd5cqt View Post
According to my GPS, my speedo is +3 at 70 meaning when I'm indicating 70, I'm doing 67., at 73, I'm doing 70 and so forth. Below 50 it sort of tapers off so that I'm like +2 at 45.
Exactly the same on my Ultra.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I have the same issue with my six speed, once calibrated do you leave the DD unit in the wiring harness?
J
Yes, it lives there. You just have to tuck it away somewhere.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
Yes, it lives there. You just have to tuck it away somewhere.
Thanx for answering my question...Fluffster...

JayD's journey back to the road rebuild thread...click here to see the journey...

JayD's New Softail

JayD's Iron Butt Ride Report

JayD © 2012
I.B.A #55000 FarRider # 690

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”
~ Mavis Leyrer
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Thanx for answering my question...Fluffster...
The wires are long enough to give you are amount of latitude in where to hide it.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

I came to Harley from metric bikes and it's a well known fact that metric speedos read 5-10% higher than actual speed. My Harley speedo reads about 3MPH faster than actual, as verified with my GPS and those speed limit signs that display your speed.

Phoenix, AZ
2011 Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[psychedelic purple/vivid black]
phx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thunder Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
The wires are long enough to give you are amount of latitude in where to hide it.
I have installed my DD speedo re calibration unit...and mild shyte fight it was until I got some decent lighting onto the job. Once we could see clearly into this dark forbidding area of my Softail it took five minutes to install...but about an hour to find this avenue of access. As always if some thing gives some grief I try and pass on my hard earned knowledge. So here goes.

In front of your rear wheel on Softail models there is a plastic guard which is held on by two bolts to the bottom of the frame, take off these bolts and slide up the guard under the rear guard and up behind the oil tank you will find you speedo electrical joiner. You simply unclip the joiner and place the DD unit between the existing plugs, its there for good so pick a place to mount it up so it does not foul up in the rear wheel.

Then if you already dont have one down load a speedo app for your phone get a buddy to ride pillion as this makes it easier to calibrate the DD while your only concern is keeping your bike a a constant speed for accurate adjustment, I also recommend finding a good straight road with no hills so the rider is not trying to compensate whilst going up and down hills.

The pillion relays your speed to you off his gps and tells you to keep it steady as it takes 10 seconds to set the memory of the unit, try it at different speeds to check all is good and Bob's your uncle. Go home and mount the unit to your chosen spot where its not going to get banged around as you have a up and down button, that if pushed will change your good work.
J

ps, yes I could have asked Chris but we live on different sides of the planet and it meant I would have to wait for him to come on line and answer my question. Thanx Chris, as I nearly brought another speedo sensor to resolve this problem but came to this forum as I find heaps and heaps of great info and tips here. This is my way of giving back...

JayD's journey back to the road rebuild thread...click here to see the journey...

JayD's New Softail

JayD's Iron Butt Ride Report

JayD © 2012
I.B.A #55000 FarRider # 690

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting “Holy shit, what a ride!”
~ Mavis Leyrer
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote