Oil pressure switch - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGold View Post
Good point, 6 months is pretty new.... thinkin draw now too.
That and I get an excuse to monkey with tools new tools....

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
nipplesurfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Its not the oil pressure sending unit wire. Although its a hot wire, its not hot with the bike off. You'll have to do like Schmidty said and pull fuses one at a time and check for a drop in draw at the battery.

A draw while sitting with the key off is going to be found in a wire that's hot all the time. That's going to be a pos battery cable, stator shorted internally, starter shorted internally or a hot wire to the ignition switch or alarm related. Everything else becomes dormant when the key is turned off....

Check your rectifier wires and I'd remove that battery after charging it 100% and let it sit overnight and check for a static draw. If it drops below 12.6 volts sitting on the bench after 8 hours after being fully charged, then it has an internal issue in the battery.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
If it drops below 12.6 volts sitting on the bench after 8 hours after being fully charged, then it has an internal issue in the battery.
Yer no fun..

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

So are the modern AGM batteries susceptible to shorted cells like the old lead acid types?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
bud

If you have no Generator warning light ?

Your battery has an internal short ! Batterymart.com has a 400 amp for $ 99.00 an no shipping that I've had really good luck with . Just an ole troopers thoughts . Bud
bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

if you haven't pulled the battery yet you can put you meter on it and leave it on,,,,, with the bike ignition off you should see no draw on the battery, or very VERY little overnight
grouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
Its not the oil pressure sending unit wire. Although its a hot wire, its not hot with the bike off. You'll have to do like Schmidty said and pull fuses one at a time and check for a drop in draw at the battery.

A draw while sitting with the key off is going to be found in a wire that's hot all the time. That's going to be a pos battery cable, stator shorted internally, starter shorted internally or a hot wire to the ignition switch or alarm related. Everything else becomes dormant when the key is turned off....

Check your rectifier wires and I'd remove that battery after charging it 100% and let it sit overnight and check for a static draw. If it drops below 12.6 volts sitting on the bench after 8 hours after being fully charged, then it has an internal issue in the battery.
Dropped to 12.6v overnight, and running the leads of my ammeter shows no draw with the ignition off ( 9 mA). Probably just replace the battery in the not-too-distant future.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipplesurfer View Post
So are the modern AGM batteries susceptible to shorted cells like the old lead acid types?

AGM stands for absorbed glass mat. Extremely durable and designed to withstand vibration unlike old style batteries. I've seen one last 9 years but most go 5-6 years. HD has had a rash of them over the last 2 years that have been turds.

Www.BatteryMart.com sells the same AGM battery as Harley, made in the same plant for $99 shipped to your door. I have one in my bike.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Talking

I bought my 03 Roadglide used with 1600 mi. on it in November of the same year. In the spring of 04 the batt. was toast. It would not hold a charge. Harley replaced it but not without a fight. In the spring of 05 same thing. This time the new batt. was on me. I purchased a Battery Minder charger after replacing batt. and am still running the same batt. The Battery Minder desulphates battery while charging battery. Sulphation takes place when battery discharges for what ever reason below 100% of open circuit voltage. Check it out BatteryMinder model 12248. PS my buddy has a 2000 Road king with the original batt. He turned me on to this charger/maintainer.:
jazzball is offline   Reply With Quote