The bike is now "tach-y" - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
The bike is now "tach-y"

I have been browsing ebay forever looking for a suitable cheap tach for the Heritage. I finally ran across a good deal last week. It showed up this week and I got it on the bike last night.

I like the look. With it mounted out like it is, it has bit of a hotrod feel. It looks good and works well. It was only a slight PITA to install.

I am not sure why I even wanted a tach. I can't really imagine it serving a whole lot of use for me, but I have it now!

Old 11-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Nice .

Is that the Baron 3"? I've been thinking about putting one on my Heritage. They've got'em on Amazon for $178.88 + $7.99 shipping...kinda pricey.
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
THE Yuppie Outlaw

Garage
Vroom Vroom
Diezel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Office Linebacker

Hey Charles,
Funny. I thought the same thing about its function...
Until I bought the Heritage that had the tach.

Now I am kind of obsessed with it regarding performance at higher RPM vs. low, etc.
I think I'll always have one now.
Hope you like it.

Looks great, by the way.
DeeDay
Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAD_Softail View Post
Nice .

Is that the Baron 3"? I've been thinking about putting one on my Heritage. They've got'em on Amazon for $178.88 + $7.99 shipping...kinda pricey.
This one is the smaller Baron.

This one: 2" MINI-BULLET TACH<br>Black Face<br>1" Clamp by - Baron Custom Accessories

The face of it is definitely not 3". It has an MSRP of maybe $229, but I scored it on ebay for less than $100 new in the package. I think it was closeout from someone who bulk buys closeouts. It was not from a regular etailer. It was a killer deal. NR auction and I was the only bidder.

I think the reason I got it cheap is because the words "Harley" and "Davidson" were not included anywhere in the description!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasarms View Post
This one is the smaller Baron.

This one: 2" MINI-BULLET TACH<br>Black Face<br>1" Clamp by - Baron Custom Accessories

The face of it is definitely not 3". It has an MSRP of maybe $229, but I scored it on ebay for less than $100 new in the package. I think it was closeout from someone who bulk buys closeouts. It was not from a regular etailer. It was a killer deal. NR auction and I was the only bidder.

I think the reason I got it cheap is because the words "Harley" and "Davidson" were not included anywhere in the description!
Dayamn! You lucky bastage. Nice score dude .

$198.03 w/free shipping on Amazon. Too rich for my blood .
RAD_Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

I love having a tach. IMO most guys on Harleys are keeping the revs too slow to be in the meat of the torque band.
chris_lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_lacey View Post
I love having a tach. IMO most guys on Harleys are keeping the revs too slow to be in the meat of the torque band.
I agree. I took the bike out for an extended play-time yesterday (it was 70 and sunny in December!!) I found myself reving it higher than I normally would for sure.

I am not super crazy about the way this particular tach behaves though. It bounces around a little more than I would prefer. I have never had a non-factory tach on a bike before, so maybe it is normal. But, it tends to wiggle within a 2-300 RPM range all the time until you wind it up aroun 4500 or so, then it smooths out.

I guess it works well enough. I mean, how accurate does it really need to be? But, I am pretty easily distracted.