Coil or ??? - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Electrical

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Coil or ???

Hey fellas! I have been trying to track down a problem with my ride for a few weeks now. It was and always has been a one kick bike. I rode it and it rode as well as it always has, but at the end of the run started acting a little tough to start, as in multiple kicks.
I got it back home and there she sits! I had a points style ignition in it and switched to a Dyna. I have been running that for a few years with no problems. I checked voltage to the coil and it is good. When I kick it over I am getting 10vdc signal from the ignition to the coil. The coil is firing (Accel Dualfire) however it is a weak (orange spark). I tested the coil and it is not reading the 4.7 ohms it is supposed to be according to Accel. I get 3.6. I have 4 other coils that I have borrowed from different folks to rule out a coil and they are all in the 3.0-3.6 range. They are all firing but again it is an Orange spark.
Compression is good, fuel is good, so fire is all that is left. I still feel that it is the coil, but the shop(s) I have had look at it (2) say that is not the problem.
The ignition switch is a manual switch as well, if that makes any difference, and I changed it out too. The other had play in it, and as I stated all voltage is good line side to the ignition and the coil.
Thanks for any and all input!
gatorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Try checking the coil for resistance between the primary to secondary sides, there should be zero resistance (open circuit). Also go through all the grounds and verify they are all clean and tight. Battery volts should be at least 12.8v.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Grounds were first thing on the list! They are all good tight and clean. The coils all test good from primary to secondary as well. Battery is a lil shy of 12.8, it is 12.0.

Does anyone know what the signal voltage from the dyna to the coil should be? There is only 10 vdc there, I figured there might be a 2v loss due to resistance from the dyna itself......
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

The signal comes from the rotor passing the slot or magnet in the pickup. The ignition opens a circuit to ground for the coil to discharge. The circuit to the coil is normally open, when it closes the coil discharges.
Your battery is way low, about 25% charge at 12v. Charge the battery up till it reads 12.8v static and try starting the engine.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks I will give that a try. I thought it was a little low!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Retired citizen

And if the battery keeps getting low run the tests on your charging system, might be a problem there.