Harley Davidson Forums banner

2005 Radio Sound Ultra Classic problem

10K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  RadicalCraig 
#1 ·
Hello,

Not sure electrical is the perfect forum, but this seems like the best choice available.

I have a 2005 ultra classic and the radio mute just recently stopped working when I use the PTT button for the intercom. Took it to my dealer, who contacted Radio Sound, and the customer service person there told my dealer that the radio NEVER muted when PTT was pressed in intercom mode, only in CB mode. So, no one is fixing my busted radio (which I have an extended warranty on). This is, of course, not true, as I've never used the CB on the bike, but have used the intercom often. How would I know that it used to mute, if it never did?

My question then is: can anyone please tell me where I can get proof that PTT in intercom mode, does, in fact, mute the radio?

Remember, this is a 2005. The dealer plugged a headset into a 2012 and it muted as expected. But, totally different radios, so I have no proof there.

Thanks for any and all help!

#8 ·
I'm reading from a 2001 premium sound system owners manual, should be the same radio. "The radio mutes so that only the microphone can be heard." Go into the VOX setup mode and adjust the sensitivity level and intercom volume. The right handlebar mode switch is used to adjust VOX sensitivity. To adjust the volume use the left handlebar Audio Control Switch. Also intercom volume is only adjustable in the setup mode and while VOX is broken. For setup mode press the console mounted rocker switch forward.

#9 ·
I'm posting this as a follow up for anyone who ever needs to set the stereo overlay volume. This a trick, and it is at the end of the email (below) that I received from support at Radio Sound.

Intercom setup is very important for proper operation of sound systems on 1998 and later model motorcycles. The intercom can only be adjusted when in the intercom setup mode, while the stereo audio can be adjusted at any time. One exception to this is that the passenger volume control will adjust both the stereo and intercom volumes of the rear headset simultaneously. Follow the steps listed below to set up the intercom properly. Please note that two people are needed for this procedure.

• The rider and passenger should adjust the radio volume in their respective headsets for normal radio volume levels prior to the following procedure.
• Enter setup by either turning the intercom on or if it is already on, push the intercom switch forward and release it.
• Use the mode up switch on the right handlebar control to increase the VOX sensitivity to 15 (13 on 2003 models). This will turn on the microphones all the time, which facilitates the setup process.
• Adjust both the front and rear volume controls to two notches from full volume.
• The rider then needs to speak to the passenger. While the rider is speaking, the passenger will use the volume control on the right rear speaker box to adjust the level of the rider’s voice in the passenger headset speakers. Keep in mind that the volume level should be set a little on the strong side so that the level is usable when operating the system at highway speeds. When this is done, go to the next step.
• The passenger then needs to speak to the rider. While the passenger is speaking, the rider will use the volume control on the left handlebar to adjust the level of the passenger’s voice in the rider’s headset speakers. Again, keep in mind that the volume level should be set a little on the strong side so that the level is usable when operating the system at highway speeds. At this point, the volume levels in both headsets should allow a telephone like conversation to be conducted. When this is done, go to the next step.
• Reduce the VOX sensitivity level from the setting of 15 to the level that allows the intercom to break open and a normal conversation to be conducted. Once this is done, go to the next step.
• Lock in these settings by exiting the setup mode. Pushing in on either of the mode controls on the motorcycle exits setup.
• NOTE: THE PASSENGER SHOULD LEAVE THE REAR VOLUME CONTROL ALONE SINCE ADJUSTING THE REAR VOLUME CONTROL WILL THROW THESE SETTING OUT OF KILTER.

At this point, the intercom should work properly. When the speaker switch is fully forward in the full headset mode, the radio volume level may be too loud when the intercom is in use. The radio overlay would need to be adjusted. While the intercom is in use (the VOX setting will be in the radio display), use the volume control on the left handlebar to lower the volume level of the radio. The volume cannot be increased, but can be lowered from this point infinitely to a minimum volume level. After this new radio volume level is settled on and the intercom signal is cancelled, the radio volume will return to the normal volume setting. Each time the intercom is activated, the radio audio will automatically be reduced to the lower setting chosen. This is true even if the normal radio volume is changed up or down.

The CB audio overlay can be adjusted in the same manner but only when it is receiving and the intercom is in use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.