Not a bad coil, but a ckp sensor, still have problems!!! - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Not a bad coil, but a ckp sensor, still have problems!!!

I went from thinking it was bad plug wires, to a bad coil, but all tested good. As finances allowed, I decided to take your advice and replace the ckp sensor. It ohm'd out o.k., but you could see the metallic magnet. When I got the new one, and it was coated in plastic, I was hopeful that I found the problem. It was all going so well, but.........

Thanks to those who steered me tword the ckp sensor, I changed it out, and now the bike will at least run on both cylinders. After starting it up, it idled a little rough, and would die once in a while. It would only stay running with the choke pulled, and I mean just barely stay running. It has been several weeks since the bike had run, so I adjusted the idle up just a tad. This seemed to do the trick. I decided to tempt fate, and head out around the block. I didn't make it half way down the street when I knew something was wrong.

It cuts out pretty bad. Every time I increase the throttle, it starts to cut out. If you hold the idle steady, not so bad, but as soon as you try to accelerate, it cuts out bad. Any ideas?

Last edited by Guy Rand; 05-21-2010 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Guy Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Did you try pulling up the codes ? With the bike running that badly I would think there would be some stored historic ECM codes . Would help diagnosing with some codes to steer us in the right direction .
So you put in the new CKP and now it starts and runs on both cylinders ! That's a good sign .
The symptom your describing sounds similar to something I ran into last year on a guy's '99 RK and that took a bunch of diagnosing to figure out . There's a crankcase drain plug in the bottom of the case below and inward of the cam cover , it's an Allen plug that should be flush with the case . It's NOT a plug that is normally removed for service . Put a shallow drain pan or pie tin under the case and remove that plug to drain any built up oil in the crankcase . Only about 4 -5 ounces should come out of that plug , if a lot of oil comes out of there , say a quart or so then the crankcase was / is sumped and would be the cause of your problem . Once the case is drained replace the plug and run your engine to see if it got better .
If the case was sumped it may have been because you were cranking the engine over a lot without the engine starting or because the oil pump isn't evacuating the crankcase .
NOTE : When you replace the case plug put teflon tape on the threads enough that the plug will be tight when it's FLUSH . DO NOT screw the plug in past FLUSH .
Old 05-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

sounds like intake seals to me....
sgray45439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Much ado about nothng....been so long since the darn thing ran, I fouled out the plugs. A good cleaning, and she's back in business. I picked up a new set on Saturday, and look forward to getting back in the saddle. Thanks for the suggestions!!!
Guy Rand is offline   Reply With Quote