SE 103" Stage III - Page 2 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just ordered this same 103" stg 3 kit last week. The local dealer offered 20% off list for it. This kit has the 259 cams and 10.5:1 pistons. I'm tuning with a SERT. Kyle, what tuner are you using?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
U.S. Marine

I used the SE race tuner since it came in the Stage III kit.

I was oringially going to do the stage II but the stage II doesn't come with the SE race tuner so after you buy that you're only $200 from the stage III which comes with the tuner.

I'm VERY happy with the engine! I added a oil cooler in Oct because I thought it got really hot in traffic??

Also, don't hammer on the throttle till you're at 2800 RPMs + or you'll hear a lot of pinging!! Sometimes if its really warm 3100 RPMs.

2010 FLHTC, 103" Twin Cam, Stock Heads, SE-259E cams, SE 10.5:1 forged pistions, SE Race Tuner, Zipper's Maxflow air intake, D&D 2:1 Fat Cat
kyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Kyle...
Looks like I am basically going to get the same Stage III 103 kit as you. They are going to bore my stock cylinders. Other differences are I all really have the SERT and have a V&H Pro Pipe and a SE Heavy Breather. We'll see how it turns out...

You have a compression release?

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
U.S. Marine

I have the manual compression releases in stock heads. From my info below my posts you can see I run a D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 with a Zipper's maxflow air intake.

Your setup sounds similar to mine! I was hoping for 105hp and 105ft lbs of tq but came up short on both ends. 100hp and 101ft lbs of tq. Here's a copy of my dyno sheet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FLHTC dyno.jpg (752.9 KB, 20 views)

2010 FLHTC, 103" Twin Cam, Stock Heads, SE-259E cams, SE 10.5:1 forged pistions, SE Race Tuner, Zipper's Maxflow air intake, D&D 2:1 Fat Cat
Old 01-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Hell. I've got a 95 incher in the crackwhore making that,(93HP/104TQ)?????? My 106 is making 104HP/118TQ.... hits a 100#TQ at 2300RPM and pulls stumps from there..... I'm guessing your tune had left a lot on the table, maybe the wrong grind on your cam choice??? Bet it's an easy fix....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
hoofnhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well in about a week maybe we'll have Dyno graphs to compare! My SG is getting the Stage III!

2013 H-D Street Glide
2013 Victory Vision
2013 Victory Cross Country
big6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
I used the SE race tuner since it came in the Stage III kit.

I was oringially going to do the stage II but the stage II doesn't come with the SE race tuner so after you buy that you're only $200 from the stage III which comes with the tuner.

I'm VERY happy with the engine! I added a oil cooler in Oct because I thought it got really hot in traffic??

Also, don't hammer on the throttle till you're at 2800 RPMs + or you'll hear a lot of pinging!! Sometimes if its really warm 3100 RPMs.
I'm just wondering about your tune? If you're from Madison, Fuel Moto (Jamie Long) is only about 110 miles north in Little Chute. Might be worth a ride come spring time? Sauk-Prairie H-D is a great dealership and their tune price is $225 but you gotta wonder about their tuner/experience? They have a few veteran techs there...
troop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 05:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Prior to going to Fuel Moto, a set of heads that'll roll off about 165
cfm @ 10" will snap that to attention.
BTW Jamie just showed 109 hp/127 ft/lbs with our Stage II Heads/Wood 555/107"(your cyls bored) o/e fbw t/body, Rhinehart duals.
Absolutely no doubt, that a good 2/1, and a modified S/E 58mm would pull waaaaaaaay more hp.
Scott
Old 01-26-2011, 05:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
U.S. Marine

Thanks for the info!!
The motor has been drinking oil a bit so after I get back from FL, March 15 it's gonna go back to the Harley shop for a further investigation of the oil consumption. If they tear into it, under warranty of course, I'll prolly throw somethings at it!

Thanks again!

Old 01-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

Got my FB back from the dealer yesterday with the 103 Stg 3 kit added. They delivered it between snow storms. With the delivery comes good news and not so good news. At least there is no bad news.

Background - This is my first bike. I have been racing cagers for many years and have always done my own work. Since bikes are new to me I decided to let the local dealer install this 103 kit. Once again I am learning the lesson that if you want it done right, do it yourself.

So they delivered the bike (for free, while I am at work), and my wife had them role it into the garage. When I got home from work of course the first thing I want to do is hear it start up. The good news is that the motor sounds great! It sounds just as I had hoped. But... There is oil leaking from the cam cover and the primary cover. They are very small leaks, but they are leaks. Guess I will have to take care of that as soon as the weather warms up.

Can't wait to get out on the road to give this setup a try. For now I am stuck watching the snow come down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.