Motor Exchange program from factory. - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Garage
Motor Exchange program from factory.

Has anyone ever used the engine exchange program from HD? If so how long did it take to get a new motor back? and if it is taking to long and the dealer is not giving you the response you are looking for is there a phone number to call ?
elvislives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Retired citizen

From what I understand the engine Reman Program has changed , the MoCo has consigned S&S for the program . Different times of the year dictate how long the wait will be due to volume . Also more shipping in transit time as the engine gets sent to Milwaukee then to S&S then back to Milwaukee then back to the dealer . I'm not sure if the Milwaukee link has changed and if the dealer can ship direct to S&S yet or not .
It used to be about a 2 week turnaround plus the time the dealer takes to remove and reinstall the engine .
Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
From what I understand the engine Reman Program has changed , the MoCo has consigned S&S for the program . Different times of the year dictate how long the wait will be due to volume . Also more shipping in transit time as the engine gets sent to Milwaukee then to S&S then back to Milwaukee then back to the dealer . I'm not sure if the Milwaukee link has changed and if the dealer can ship direct to S&S yet or not .
It used to be about a 2 week turnaround plus the time the dealer takes to remove and reinstall the engine .
The powers to be, told us a while back, that they need to go thru their local dealer for the re-man program.
S&S does not/will not deal with the end-user directly, again, so we were told.
Scott
Old 04-13-2011, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Also it might have something to do with serial numbering the cases , only the MoCo can do that plus destroying the old cases .
Old 04-13-2011, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

ooo ooo can i chime in...., it takes about 2 to 2.5 weeks to get it back. how it should work is, schedule your bike in for service they pull it, about 2 weeks later its back hopefully the service center your dealing with blocks off more time to put it back in. worst case from start to finish its about a month turnaround. Theres really no one to call about it to check status, we have done about 50 evos and a dozen twin cams, never had a problem so far. hope this answers the questions.

04 FLHP- PROJECT GOT WOOD... COMING SPRING.

"You never see a herse with a luggage rack..."
serviceguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

s&s will not deal with the reman prog. if you were to just call them up, but if your not having a dealer do the work, there is no point in you sending the motor out for a reman.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
DILLIGAF

Garage
Thanks for the info guys. My buddy actually is going through it with his evo motor and has been waiting about a month for his motor to come back. I think when i tell him about s&s that they are doing the work it sounds like to me that he will be wondering why he went through it to, instead of going else where, he is putting the motor in himself.
elvislives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
.....he is putting the motor in himself.
It's also my understanding that the warranty is void if dealer is not removing/installing it, and dealer may take precedence over a customer who yanked his engine, dropping one off, vs the dealer sending one back.

When originally removed and installed by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer, your remanufactured engine carries a 12 Month Unlimited Mileage Limited Warranty.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...facturing.html
Old 04-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
Thanks for the info guys. My buddy actually is going through it with his evo motor and has been waiting about a month for his motor to come back. I think when i tell him about s&s that they are doing the work it sounds like to me that he will be wondering why he went through it to, instead of going else where, he is putting the motor in himself.
The only way you can get a reman engine is thru the dealer . It's an exchange program .
If your friend bought a NEW engine then he can purchase that over the parts counter just like any other H-D part . He keeps his old engine and gets an MSO with the new engine and has to reregister his bike with the MVD .
FYI ... New MoCo engines only come with a 6 mo. warranty from date of purchase ... reman engines have a 1 year warranty from date of purchase !
Old 04-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
PRO BIKE FLIPPER

thats pretty much what i was alluding to, either do a rebuild your self, and blame yourself when something goes wrong or have the dealer exchange program and have the dealer fix any leak or problem you might come into with the motor, keep in mind the moco will repaint it all, new chrome its basically good as a new motor.