Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Technician

Cool Cam Chain Tensioner Replacement

My bike is my only means of transportation right now and it seems I'm hearing more engine noise from the cam area the last few days. I live nearly 30 miles from work so I'm hoping for a quick fix till winter time. I ordered the cam tension shoe and gasket, can i replace the tensioner with the cam plate in the bike? also, any ideas on how to substitute for the tensioner tool?
jjamieson727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

As PM'd:

Ok.....with your dropping oil psi, you need to yank that thing open, at a minimum, NOW.

If there's more noise, that's an indication that the shoe material is GONE, and the chain is riding on the metal adjuster arms.

In many cases, this requires rebuilding of the entire engine, due to debris scattering and damage due to lost oil psi.......

I kid you not.

Cam surfaces will come apart and bearing rollers begin to delaminate/score due to metal and dibris in them. This can include the crank pin as well.....

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

No quick fix if they are gone, pop the cam cover and take a peak at least at the outter tensioner and look at the condition, the inner one usually is worse, judge from that, I recommend upgrading the oil pump and cam plate too the 96ci style
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamieson727 View Post
My bike is my only means of transportation right now and it seems I'm hearing more engine noise from the cam area the last few days. I live nearly 30 miles from work so I'm hoping for a quick fix till winter time. I ordered the cam tension shoe and gasket, can i replace the tensioner with the cam plate in the bike? also, any ideas on how to substitute for the tensioner tool?
IMO - based on your questions , no . Best left to an experienced H-D tech that has the correct tools .
If you have the cam cover gasket you can remove the cam cover to inspect the tensioners . You'll have to loosen the exhaust to get the cover off . If the tensioners are coming apart then do not run the engine untill it's repaired , major damage can result .
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Technician

well i will lose my job if i don't fix right now, as i have no other vehicle. So your saying I need to remove cam plate, that i can't replace tensioner otherwise? I did acquire the tensioner tool, wish I had done more than transmission and top end work at the dealership, I just have no experience on the cam plates.
jjamieson727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Curmudgeon

Quote:
well i will lose my job if i don't fix right now, as i have no other vehicle. So your saying I need to remove cam plate, that i can't replace tensioner otherwise? I did acquire the tensioner tool, wish I had done more than transmission and top end work at the dealership, I just have no experience on the cam plates.
I'm not being a jerk here, rent a car it's cheaper than loosing your job. Good luck.

P.S. or buy a older junker then turn and sell it to get back some of your money.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
Benjamin Franklin
scol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
nitro freak

put in a set of gear drive cams,about the same time involved as replacing tensioners(and youll never have a prob again)
Old 06-19-2011, 06:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Cam plate has to be removed . There are two tensioners , one outside and one inside and the inside one is usually the worst for wear . Also there's more than just one cam support plate tool needed for the job .
I would first remove the cover to inspect the tensioners to make sure they're bad then decide on your next move .
Old 06-19-2011, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Your profile states your occupation as car salesman ! Seems to me you should be able to dig up a set of wheels to get back and forth to work while your bike is being repaired ... just saying !
Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Steal a car........

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote