2013 Ultra Slow to Start - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

2013 Ultra Slow to Start

New to this forum. I hope y'all can help me out with this problem. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic with a little over 50k miles on it. Recently installed a FuelPak FP3, new V&H headers, slip ons & stage one air intake. The bike runs great for the most part, but sometimes after riding it for a while if I shut it off, for a fuel stop say, when I try to restart it it turns over for a while before catching. Yesterday, I didn't think it would restart. I can smell gasoline. It's like it's flooding out. Also, sometimes when I come to a stop the idle will pick up anywhere from 2k to 5k past the normal idle speed of 1k. When that happens the bike will cut out if I really lay on the throttle. All of this happens on an irregular basis. I did a 1000+ miles day this week without incident. Yesterday, just riding around town it had this issue. Any ideas about where to start checking would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 07:57 AM
Retired citizen

Garage
Intermittent is tough to diagnose ! If the problem persists or gets more frequent disconnect the Fuel Pack to see if the symptom clears up.
Also check for any stored codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.
John_A likes this.

Disclaimer : Don't believe anything I say unless you are absolutely sure that I know what I'm talking about .
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 AM
Lost in Space

Garage
Do you hear a grinding or clunk right before it kicks over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John_A likes this.

"If I cannot drink bourbon and smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go." Mark Twain

post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_A View Post
New to this forum. I hope y'all can help me out with this problem. I have a 2013 Ultra Classic with a little over 50k miles on it. Recently installed a FuelPak FP3, new V&H headers, slip ons & stage one air intake. The bike runs great for the most part, but sometimes after riding it for a while if I shut it off, for a fuel stop say, when I try to restart it it turns over for a while before catching. Yesterday, I didn't think it would restart. I can smell gasoline. It's like it's flooding out. Also, sometimes when I come to a stop the idle will pick up anywhere from 2k to 5k past the normal idle speed of 1k. When that happens the bike will cut out if I really lay on the throttle. All of this happens on an irregular basis. I did a 1000+ miles day this week without incident. Yesterday, just riding around town it had this issue. Any ideas about where to start checking would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Call V & H support and remap your FP3. Just sayin'.
jpassh2o and John_A like this.

2015 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Mysterious Red Sunglo/Blackened Cayenne Sunglo
Stage 4 Kit
ThunderMax Tuner
Vance & Hines True Duals
RC Component mufflers
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Garage
I noticed that with my 2012 limited sometimes. I have a PC-V on my scooter. I contacted Dynojet about it and they suggested that I start it before the fuel pump is done cycling, which is against what harley says about starting. This is directly off their website.

"Most Power Commanders are powered by the injectors on the bike. When you turn the key on, the fuel pump gets power and primes the fuel circuit. When this happens, the injectors get power, and the Power Commander also gets power and lights up. After a few moments, the fuel pump has pressurized the system, and usually shuts off. If the fuel pump shuts off, the injectors loose power, and the Power Commander shuts off. If you attempt to start the bike when the Power Commander is off, the bike will NOT start, until the fuel pump comes back on. The fuel pump may come on instantly, after a few engine revolutions, or on some bikes seemingly not at all. If the fuel pump does not come on, the bike will not start. We recommend starting the bike once you turn the key on. Do not wait for the fuel pump to shut off, or a check engine light to go out."
John_A likes this.

Current - 2012 FLHTK Ultra Limited
Previous - 2005 FLSTFI Fat Boy

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls' sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such. ~Homer Simpson
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:52 AM
On the loose

Your FP3 will list any codes and an explanation. Are running the map V&H suggested or one you pulled from the list ? V&H tell most not to run the auto tune but if you want it dialed in to your bike and riding style I would recommend doing a couple 3 auto tune sessions.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk
John_A likes this.

2001 Deuce , traded.

2014 Street Glide with stuff
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Duce View Post
Your FP3 will list any codes and an explanation. Are running the map V&H suggested or one you pulled from the list ? V&H tell most not to run the auto tune but if you want it dialed in to your bike and riding style I would recommend doing a couple 3 auto tune sessions.

Sent from my SM-J700M using Tapatalk
Where do you get that from Duce? I havent heard that from V&H.

On the slow starting- my 07 Deluxe is slow starting occasionally when hot and did it before getting my FP3 so I dont think its related. Normally it fires up within a couple revolutions at most. I've never noticed a strong gas odor other than my own though. The only codes I've ever seen were rear cylinder running rich, I think always when running auto tune. Could slow starting be IAC related?
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTY View Post
Intermittent is tough to diagnose ! If the problem persists or gets more frequent disconnect the Fuel Pack to see if the symptom clears up.

Also check for any stored codes, the procedure is a sticky in the electrical section.

The FuelPak is new to me. I thought it only flashed the new settings to the bike and after that just monitored. I'll try unplugging it and see what happens.

It did throw an error code the first time it started cutting out while running (about a month ago). The check engine light was on for maybe 1-2 seconds. When I checked the V&H FP3 for the error code it said "Engine Temperature Sensor Disconnected". It hasn't thrown another code since and I've been monitoring the engine temp, so the sensor seems to be working.

post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

2013 Ultra Slow to Start

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Do you hear a grinding or clunk right before it kicks over?

Nope, nothing like that. It turns over normally, just doesn't catch right away. When it does catch it runs normally usually. Sometimes there is the high idle I mentioned even tho the engine is already hot. That usually goes away fairly quickly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode