S&S 124 LC, NOT RELIABLE - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

S&S 124 LC, NOT RELIABLE

Bought S&S 124 LC 3 years ago replaced my cvo 110, I have less than 20,000 miles on the motor, 90% of the miles are highway miles, bike in the shop with rattling noise, mechanic saying piston slap and oil in the cylinders. When I called GMR and told him that I had a S&S 124, the first thing out of his mouth was the engine has piston slap and blow-by, said it was very common with this motor. Going to be 2 weeks before he can take it a part to see how much it is going to cost to fix.
I ride with a christian motorcycle group, we ride around 5000 to 8000 miles yearly.(NOT going to happen this year)
NOT A HAPPY CAMPER.....
Cost about $9200 for motor and to install, now waiting to see what its going to cost to fix it......

Allen Tanner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Swollen Member

Garage
Shame you didn't look up reviews prior to getting it. If it is that common you would have read about it earlier. Either way, thanks for joining to complain. You might have better luck with your troubles praying for it to get fixed

"Men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard them" - George Orwell
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:39 AM
Wayward Son

Would seem maybe you are an attorney. Sue.

? >Houston TX Criminal Defense Attorney
ematicic likes this.

People are why I love my Dog and my Harley.

You want blood? You got it!
G.F.T.D.
You`ve been, Thunder~Struck !
ATW TWF/FTW
You can have your funky world. See ya round.

I.L.M.O. ROLO
04/03/14-07/27/16

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 12:29 PM

I think you'll find S&S 124's to have been very reliable. From all I've read as much as 100000 miles isn't uncommon.
Good oil changed at regular intervals and no lugging and they seem to be as reliable as stock.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM

Garage
It is a race motor designed for 1/4 mile trips, and you expect to ride it on the highway and get 100,000 mile out of it? How often did you change the oil?

I have a 131" Jims in my 09 UG and change the oil every 1,000 miles since I had it rebuilt.
Extra inches makes extra heat ,and on the highway for hours at a time that heat will break the oil down quickly, so a cooler or two and an oil temp gauge would be cheap insurance to extend engine life.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Changed the oil in all 3 holes at 3000 miles, didn't lug the motor, kept rpm around 2500-3000. Have oil cooler, Ultra Cool with fan. S&S rep recommend this motor. Would like to see post from other 124 owners with mileage over 50,000.. Call it complaining! I call it a Warning to others, don't buy off the shelf motors, like S&S, JIM'S, Rev-Tech etc. Want a motor with more power than stock and be reliable, have the engine built by a pro, like Hillside, GMR and other shop that have made a name , that use parts that are not junk.

I'm sure there will be some more replies, you should have done this or you should have done that, want some cheese with that wine, I get it! when you post to these sites you open your self up to that. This post is for that one person looking for information on S&S 124LC.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Guitar NOT Gator

50,000 members and you have 2 posts to your name. What makes you think your warning carries any weight at all? You might have the one bad motor in the bunch. It happens. It sucks, but it happens.
OHEhsc likes this.

2016 FLHTK - 18 miles and counting
2004 FXSTSI - 10,000 miles and counting

http://www.doolinband.com - the band!

Dr. Rick "Superman" Doolin 1970-2014. Miss you bro.

Proud member of the NTC (North Texas Crew)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanner1@yahoo View Post
Changed the oil in all 3 holes at 3000 miles, didn't lug the motor, kept rpm around 2500-3000. Have oil cooler, Ultra Cool with fan. S&S rep recommend this motor. Would like to see post from other 124 owners with mileage over 50,000.. Call it complaining! I call it a Warning to others, don't buy off the shelf motors, like S&S, JIM'S, Rev-Tech etc. Want a motor with more power than stock and be reliable, have the engine built by a pro, like Hillside, GMR and other shop that have made a name , that use parts that are not junk.

I'm sure there will be some more replies, you should have done this or you should have done that, want some cheese with that wine, I get it! when you post to these sites you open your self up to that. This post is for that one person looking for information on S&S 124LC.
Would not hesitate to buy a Jim`s or S&S. Rev-tech?
Have eyed their S&S`s KN93 for a few years. Just waiting on one of my rich relatives in the poor house to pass and leave me their worldly possessions.

We get a ton of one and done posters. Find it hilarious when someone goes through the sign up process to just pitch a bitch.
It is called 000 credibility.

G.F.T.D.
ATW TWF/FTW

I.L.M.O. ROLO
04/03/14-07/27/16
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

2 post vs 10,000 post. Glad to AMUSE you for the day. Keep waiting on that relative to pass so you can make gain from their loss. Want to talk about credibility. Judge a man by his actions and what comes out of his mouth. A bitch, is Karma, it sucks, but happens.
So, now ill be that one and done poster you talk about..
GOD BLESS....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:15 PM
Wayward Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by artanner1@yahoo View Post
2 post vs 10,000 post. Glad to AMUSE you for the day. Keep waiting on that relative to pass so you can make gain from their loss. Want to talk about credibility. Judge a man by his actions and what comes out of his mouth. A bitch, is Karma, it sucks, but happens.
So, now ill be that one and done poster you talk about..
GOD BLESS....
What part of "in the poor house" did you not understand?
Razor sharp perception skills you got there.
Yep. I want you in my corner in a court of law.

Don`t let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya.
Kainam and OHEhsc like this.

G.F.T.D.
ATW TWF/FTW

I.L.M.O. ROLO
04/03/14-07/27/16

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode