Checked the resistance on the plug to the stator and was showing an open loop on one of the three wires. Opened up the primary and and it smelled like burnt rubber (which I read was an indicator your stator is toast). After pulling the chain, I found one of the stator wires had been severed and the other two were bare. Three of the four bolts had been sheered off and the fourth was stuck to the magnet. Needles to say, FUBAR. My heart sank into my stomach.
My friend (in a previous picture) came over and we were able to get the remains out of the hole without detroying anything. I have a new stator in route and will be back on the road by the weekend.
I guess I have to be thankfull that I didn't destroy anything I couldn't repair and I have gained a great deal of knowledge and experience towards wrenching on my own bike and not having to pay someone to do it for me.
Got the new stator the other day. Hopefully didn't ruin the plug trying to get it pushed through the case. I greased the crap out of it but still was a bitch to get in. After I bolted the stator in, the rotor was hitting the wiring. I am currently waiting for a shim to keep the rotor off of the stator wiring. This is getting really frustrating!
Finally got everything put back together. Put 1000 miles on the bike and trying to get the Power Commander tuned right. My engine builder won't warranty the bike if I dino it. I started another thread about that but no comments yet.
No leaks until I hit 1000 miles. Now the stator plug is leaking and I developed an oil leak to boot. Started a thread on that as well. Gotta love wrenching on your bike!
I finally fixed the oil leak. I ended up pulling the oil tank three times and replacing all of the oil lines. Ended up having a crack in the oil tank. Bike is running pretty good. I still have a leak at the stator plug which I'm sure I will have to replace the stator again to fix because the stator is a molded piece.
After pulling the wiring apart and getting ready to re-wire my new tach, I found out the wiring is different and I couldn't use the tach my mechanic said would work for my bike. I scrapped the tach and he gave me credit for a new rear tire which I had him put on it today.
I also think I have the fuel ratio figured out. The bike is running good and has plenty of torque. I have about 3000 miles on the engine now and am enjoying the fact summer has finally hit Central Oregon.
So the saga continues. My bike has started a vibration in the handle are and gas tank. The local stealership is telling me its the flywheels and the Indy shop that built the engine is saying its the balancing chain again. Only have 5000 miles on the engine and they are telling me they only warranty the machine work. I'm fricken bummed!
Might just have to cut my losses and trade it in. Stealership will give me a whopping $6000 for it!