RATTLE NOISE: Sounds like spray can ball jumpin' around in primary - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

RATTLE NOISE: Sounds like spray can ball jumpin' around in primary

I've noticed a noise coming from the front of the engine on the left side. It seems to run fine, but I notice a little tapping now while in neutral that reminds me of a rattle can. Sounds like something is being batted around in there.

The other evening, I noticed while at a light, clutch pulled all the way back, that it sounded like the gears were tip-tapping like when you shift too slowly (before the gears catch).

Bike is a '95 FLSTN low mile (17+K miles) Evo.

Thanks, y'all!

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Vaya con Dios, Rick "Rubberdown" Massey ~ May you rest in eternal peace
Mongo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Slutty fuel causing a serious ping?

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Can you get it to do it at idle with you off the bike? Sometimes the noises tend to move once you can get your ears closer.

Only in neutral or is there just too much other noise when rolling down the road?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Chas, it's with me off the bike. I haven't ridden in several days and was going to go for a ride earlier. I started it up and recalled that the last time I rode, I heard a strange noise.

So, I started it up and didn't hear anything at first. I was standing on the right side of the bike twisting the throttle to keep the idle a little high until it warmed up.

Once warm, I walked around it as it idled. I was standing a couple feet to the rear lefthand side when I heard the intermittent tapping. I crouched down beside the bike with my ear close to the motor. That's when I heard the noise that sounded like something in the primary toward the front that was bouncing around in there. The ticking/tapping sounded similar to the tap a ball makes in a can of spray paint.

I got these lines in my face, tryin' to straighten out the wrinkles in my life... Ramblin' Jack Elliot/Guy Clark

The sweet bird of youth, was sittin' on my shoulder yesterday, but she's always changin' partners and I always knew she'd up and fly away... Larry Mahan/Guy Clark

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seņor Member

Everything else is acting normal? Exhaust sound is normal, the idle itself is normal? Are there ANY other symptoms?

Chief Illiniwek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

i'd pull the outer primary & have a look. could be comp. sprocket, maybe only loose primary chain. won't hurt to take a peek
butch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Nope! No other symptom. As far as I can tell, it's running/idling fine. I don't think this is a noise I've overlooked in the past, either.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pork Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch61 View Post
i'd pull the outer primary & have a look. could be comp. sprocket, maybe only loose primary chain. won't hurt to take a peek
That sounds like the best approach, but I'm a little nervous doing something like that. What should I expect? I assume I'll need a new gasket, correct?

I enjoy doing stuff like that, but only when I know at least 75% of what I'm doing...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Luke 22:36

Garage
Check to make sure the primary chain is tightened properly first before removing the cover, just to eliminate the easy stuff.
Best 1/4 MPH 108.59
Kainam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Take a long screw driver and put the metal end to the area where you hear the noise and the handle to your ear to help you isolate the area where you hear the noise the loudest.
Use it like a stethoscope to isolate the noise. That should put you in the general direction.
Good luck,hope it's not serious.
SSSPRINGER is offline   Reply With Quote