crank position/cam position sensor - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
lpx

crank position/cam position sensor

I got new tires today, on the way home (9 miles) my engine light came on but no symptoms. Got home turned it off and restarted it and the light came back on. Tried about 10 min later and the engine light showed a stored code but didn't come back on again.

The 3 codes were 41 crank position sensor, 42 cam position sensor, and code 56 crank/cam timing. After about an hour, I went for another 10 mile ride and no light although it still shows the stored codes. It Ran fine with no problems I could tell.

From what I'm reading, if I were having issues with the crank position sensor, it would be running bad or not at all. I noticed that both of these sensors share a connector which is under the bike on the right side, didn't see any loose or broken wires so I disconnected it and reconnected it before that last ride.

1. They washed the bike right before I picked it up. I'm thinking maybe water in the connector?

2. Maybe the harness got damaged or disconnected when they put it on the lift.

Any thoughts?

Also, the book says since I don't have a Scanalyzer, I have to start it, let it run 30 sec, and kill it 50 times to clear stored codes. I don't see that happening, is there another way?
Old 03-24-2012, 05:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

With the bike in diagnostic mode, try holding the trip odometer button in. Digital panel should print the word "Clear".
Old 03-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired citizen

It's a '99 , how many miles on the bike ? Have the cam tensioners and bearings been replaced yet ??? When the cam bearings start going bad the rear cam starts to move around causing the rear cam sprocket to bump the cam sensor triggering a code , CMP error .
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Your thought on the harness being the problem was the culprit on a wide glide I had a few years ago. This was intermittent so the tech at the dealer could not duplicate the problem since he was a little guy - (not like me).... anyhow under specific riding conditions or specific road conditions I would get the same codes..... The harness had chafed through to the CPS wiring and would touch ground. This one got so bad that when I finally found the chafed point, the wire was almost totally exposed and nearly parted. I fixed it but the proper thing to have done would have been replace the main harness.

Good luck with this - I used a hand held mirror and flashlight to finally find the chafe point. The dealer where the bike was traded in replaced the harness....

bc
XDSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
lpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave63 View Post
With the bike in diagnostic mode, try holding the trip odometer button in. Digital panel should print the word "Clear".
nothing happens when I hold the button in diag mode. Only when turn off ignition, hold the button, and turn it back on. it shows d01 thru d09 are clear, then it shows cal09 and repeats the cycle as I press the button.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
lpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
It's a '99 , how many miles on the bike ? Have the cam tensioners and bearings been replaced yet ??? When the cam bearings start going bad the rear cam starts to move around causing the rear cam sprocket to bump the cam sensor triggering a code , CMP error .
Only 7k on the bike and those have been easy miles (bought it from my dad before he passed away). I didn't think you had to worry about tensioners or bearings until 20-30k? If this were the case, wouldn't I have other symptoms? It seems to be running fine running fine.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
lpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDSE2 View Post
Your thought on the harness being the problem was the culprit on a wide glide I had a few years ago. This was intermittent so the tech at the dealer could not duplicate the problem since he was a little guy - (not like me).... anyhow under specific riding conditions or specific road conditions I would get the same codes..... The harness had chafed through to the CPS wiring and would touch ground. This one got so bad that when I finally found the chafed point, the wire was almost totally exposed and nearly parted. I fixed it but the proper thing to have done would have been replace the main harness.

Good luck with this - I used a hand held mirror and flashlight to finally find the chafe point. The dealer where the bike was traded in replaced the harness....

bc
Were you just throwing codes or was the bike also running bad?

I'm heading out of town soon, but I plan to go for a nice long ride tomorrow to try to duplicate
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpx View Post
Were you just throwing codes or was the bike also running bad?

I'm heading out of town soon, but I plan to go for a nice long ride tomorrow to try to duplicate
The bike was running very bad - to the point of backfiring. When it ran good -it ran good but when the CPS grounded even for a short period of time the engine went totally berserk.
XDSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Retired citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpx View Post
Only 7k on the bike and those have been easy miles (bought it from my dad before he passed away). I didn't think you had to worry about tensioners or bearings until 20-30k? If this were the case, wouldn't I have other symptoms? It seems to be running fine running fine.
The '99 twin cam engines had cam bearing failures . Both cam bearings in the cam support plate were ball bearings and the rear bearing failed . They were covered under extended factory warranty . No recall was issued , it was fix as fail because the MoCo didn't feel there was a real problem .
By the 2000 model the rear cam plate bearing was changed to a roller style bearing which solved that problem .
When cam bearing replacement was required it was found that the chain tensioner shoes were wearing prematurally . The rear cam plate bearings were failing in as few as 5k miles and the inside tensioner shoes were worn more than half way and sometimes broken .
Like I stated before , one of the telltale signs of cam bearing failure was the CMP sensor code . The rear cam sprocket would hit the sensor setting the code . The sensor can be removed for inspection and if a nick or scrub mark is noticeable in the groove then the sprocket is hitting it indicating that the rear bearing is failing .
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
lpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMIDTYS View Post
The '99 twin cam engines had cam bearing failures . Both cam bearings in the cam support plate were ball bearings and the rear bearing failed . They were covered under extended factory warranty . No recall was issued , it was fix as fail because the MoCo didn't feel there was a real problem .
By the 2000 model the rear cam plate bearing was changed to a roller style bearing which solved that problem .
When cam bearing replacement was required it was found that the chain tensioner shoes were wearing prematurally . The rear cam plate bearings were failing in as few as 5k miles and the inside tensioner shoes were worn more than half way and sometimes broken .
Like I stated before , one of the telltale signs of cam bearing failure was the CMP sensor code . The rear cam sprocket would hit the sensor setting the code . The sensor can be removed for inspection and if a nick or scrub mark is noticeable in the groove then the sprocket is hitting it indicating that the rear bearing is failing .
I sure appreciate the info. I'll check that sensor after my ride this morning and see if I see anything.

Sounds like replacing the bearings would be a good will be a good preventative maintenance project