Safe RPM Operation - 103 Engine - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Safe RPM Operation - 103 Engine

I bought my first HD bike oen year ago - 2007 Road King Classic with 103 Upgrade. The HD manual suggests gear shifting at speeds which approximate 2,000 RPM. You don't experience the power of the enginge at those speeds. Can you run at 2,500 - 2,800 RPM without shorteneing the life of the engine. I have no intention of buying another bike - will have the engine rebuilt when necessary. Thanks.
strax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strax View Post
I bought my first HD bike oen year ago - 2007 Road King Classic with 103 Upgrade. The HD manual suggests gear shifting at speeds which approximate 2,000 RPM. You don't experience the power of the enginge at those speeds. Can you run at 2,500 - 2,800 RPM without shorteneing the life of the engine. I have no intention of buying another bike - will have the engine rebuilt when necessary. Thanks.
You can run at 3000-4000 rpms with a stock engine without worrying about damage, as long your mapping is correct vs your mods and you're not running lean. Redline isn't until 5200-5400 and you have a rev limiter. Holeshots and blatant abuse are another issue. Your crank is pressed and not welded and abuse can cause them to scissor and move. Repair is as costly as replacement and a waste of money if not having it welded and a bearing conversion done if that's your riding style....

Secondly, if it had a 103 upgrade, I can assume it has different cams and some sort of fuel adder. The cams will change where your powerband is and 8n all likelihood, you have a 6200 rpm rev limit with the new fuel management system. Not if simply running EXIDEs. Dealer stage-I downloads also raise rev limits.

R.I.P. Rubberdown. 1971-2012
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Just Ride

How many miles on it? Has it been broke in? Ride it like you stole it and keep service intervals up to date. Got nice sounding pipes? Make them talk. I shift between 3500 -4000 thru the first 3 gears just so I can hear my pipe.
2010 FLTRX Wimmer Better Sucker,Stage 1,Xied's,no cat,fatstick with open end cap. 2004 Dyna Lowrider Harley Heavy Breather,Stage 1,Screaming Eagle mufflers.1996 FXDS-CONV S&S E.Screaming Eagle ignition,V&H Short shots. 1978 Strokershovel Lowrider 100 inches. 1974 Suzuki GT750 Lemans (Water Buffalo)
FritzHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rinehart Pipes. 19,000 miles.

What RPM do you run at for gears 4,5 and 6 ?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I've been using a fuel adder with every gas fill.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strax View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been using a fuel adder with every gas fill.
Lol! Fuel adder means an after market fuel management system that increases the air/fuel ratio. Stock Harleys are factory set to run at 14.7:1 ratio, that is too lean for an air cooled engine. Your engine will live a very happy life if you run it in the 3000 to 4000 rpm range.
Woods 777 cams
Vance & Hines Black Radius Shots
Power Commander V w/ auto tuner
Oil bud cooler
2005 Deluxe blue & white(hers)
Operating Engineers Local 12
TinyPeckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hit it she goes boom

Rather than worrying about your RPMs, watch that maint schedule. You can run any engine hard, as long as you take care of it. Mine hates anything lower than 2500 RPMs. If I go for fifth at the double nickel, it has a fit. Harley book says go for 5th after 50. What the book says and the bike likes are 2 different things. At 70 MPH it will run all day long at 3 grand.

"Give her full throttle till ya see God... then back off"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezel View Post
Golds bike sounds like a 66' Chevelle. It's amazing.
GotGold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can't really help with rpm 4th and 5th just listening to the engine in those gears not looking at rpms. I can tell you 80mph in 6th is right at 3000rpm and will run there forever very comfortably. 2012 FLHTK 103ci, stage 1 download, se ac, reinhart mufflers and Xieds.
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
- Babe Ruth
Tailgunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.