RPM Redline and limiter? - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
The other white meat

Very nice! I like it. Look forward to seeing it's completion OomD.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #22 (permalink)
Proud South African

Thanks, guys. This is much more work than I anticipated, but worth every bit!
OomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Grandstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathang View Post
Umm, no... w/all due respect, that's wrong. Outside air temp has nothing to do with it

There are no dry desert breezes passing thru, Water does not evaporate

from the closed environment of the crankcase. Water gets cooked off or it stays behind.

Exhaust blow-by is live steam and CO2 at 212F+, if you cool your oil to 100F constantly,

you will have built a still inside your engine. The temp you'd have to be higher than

to even stop condensing the steam and increasing the water content is 212F.

Agreed however, the colder the ambient air, the longer it'll take an engine to stop producing condensation from warm up, and until the engine has cooked the H2O out of the oil.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OomD View Post
Thanks, guys. This is much more work than I anticipated, but worth every bit!
I can imagine!!!

I was really looking forward to seeing this!!
Ya made my day!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Proud South African

Some more progress. The board is inside the enclosure, and the firmware is basically complete. Installation on the bike is complete too, and a few test runs have been made. Successfully!

Now it's fine tuning and tweaking the software, filters (for electrical noise) and generally optimising the whole thing. Will post a vid soon!

The white decal (faceplate) is still a bit rough around the edges as it's a home printed one at this stage. I want to play around with different designs before committing to a professionally made one. Choices are basically black on white (photo) or white on black.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1156.JPG (2.14 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1198.JPG (2.24 MB, 15 views)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Garage
So, let me see if I've got this straight... you've designed a tachometer that will show green lights, but red when revved above ~3,000 RPM when the oil temp is under Y (Y= operating engine or oil temperature), but once the temp exceeds Y, the tach will show green until the revs exceed ~6,000. That is bada$$, hell I'd buy one.
The object in life is not to arrive in a pristine well taken care of body; rather it is to slide in sideways, body thoroughly used up, a drink in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming "That was one HELL of a ride!!!"
Tom31w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Proud South African

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom31w View Post
So, let me see if I've got this straight... you've designed a tachometer that will show green lights, but red when revved above ~3,000 RPM when the oil temp is under Y (Y= operating engine or oil temperature), but once the temp exceeds Y, the tach will show green until the revs exceed ~6,000. That is bada$$, hell I'd buy one.
Indeed, that is what it does. In addition to that it has a dynamically adjusting shift indicator... You can set it to prompt you to shift when the RPM reaches a given percentage of Redline (i.e. warn me to shift when I am 90% close to redline) or when it reaches a set RPM value (e.g. 4500).
Old 11-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Addicted Since 2010

Garage
This thing is so bad ass!!!

When it is done and on the bike please for the love of god make an in ride video so we can see it in action!!!!

This may be my favorite thread ever!!

"Mr. Lahey is this you talking or the liquor?"

"Randy...(takes a swig)...I am the Liquor!!!"
XL1200R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #29 (permalink)
Dr Volts

So you going to sell a couple. I could be interested.
Dutch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

I've never seen anyone design and build their own electronic gauge from scratch before, much less one that looks and works this cool! If it all works out (and it sure looks like it's going too) are you going to consider selling them? I would think after the first one, building more would be a lot easier.