99 EVO street port - Page 3 - Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum
Harley-DavidsonForums.com is an independent enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Harley-DavidsonForums.com is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with Harley-Davidson Inc.. The Harley Davidson names and logos are trademarks owned by Harley-Davidson Inc.

Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums: Harley Davidson Motorcycle Forum > Technical > Engine

» Insurance
» Our Partners
»ATV Reviews
»Motorcycle Games

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

Doesn't look that old to me, but then again I'm no spring chicken either!

YouTube
Softail99fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

I had a friend with a charger that had a hemi. Remember I said built. If the original Chrysler hemi went into the 70's my statement as told is plossable.

The original Chrysler Hemi engines: creation of the "double rocker" dynamos

It has been well documented that, with the release of the first generation of Hemi headed V-8 engines, Chrysler set off the "horsepower wars" of the early 1950s that lasted into the early 1970s. It forced General Motors and Ford Motor Company to keep upping the ante in making more power from their engines.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

I don't have flow numbers. I was told they were flowed for peak torque. As you can see I got some nice work, one size larger intake and plenty of fine port and chamber work! I got more then I expected.

Radar is well respected in his field. I don't need flow numbers to believe what he said, he did what I asked. Flowed for torque and not H.P. All though it would have been nice to have seen the flow sheet, it wouldn't have made any difference in how it will run. And I wouldn't have been able to make sense out of the numbers anyway. It would have just possibly of been eye candy for those who do.

To and from, and work $500.00 total. My springs and guides were ok, still in spec. I'm not sure if my exhaust valves are new, I'm thinking they are not.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

99 EVO street port

What are those black marks inside the combustion chamber?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
D.L.R.A #1174
tussuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauss View Post
The Hemispherical head design was developed by Chrysler in the 40's - first for their airplane engine- then later for use in automobiles.

The original Chrysler Hemi engines: creation of the "double rocker" dynamos
Hemi heads were in use before Chrysler used them.

Pop a head/jug assembly off a P&W R-1340 and have a look inside...first built in the `20s...

Last edited by Dan89flstc; 02-17-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Dan89flstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tussuck View Post

Maybe this can answer your question as well.

Head Porting Stages - Big Boyz Head Porting

I'll give it a stab. My heads would have been checked for equal flow and CC's. After machining its my thoughts, left over powder coating is what it looks like.

There are some head porters that read this forum, maybe one will chime in to verify my thoughts.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tussuck View Post

Looks like a little carbon.
He pulled the chamber wall back, on the exhaust valve to keep it from being crowded in that corner.
It picks up the flow a bit, from what we've seen here during flow bench work here.
Betcha' they'll run very nice.
Scott
Old 02-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #28 (permalink)
Riding With Respect

[QUOTE=Softail99fb;653505]I'm having my ports cleaned up by the man I was told built the original dodge hemi heads when he worked for Chrysler.
/QUOTE]
He's getting up there in years.

Chrysler developed their first experimental hemi engine for the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt fighter aircraft. The XIV-2220 engine was an inverted V16 rated at 2,500 hp (1,860 kW). The P-47 was already in production with a Pratt & Whitney radial engine when the XIV-2220 flew successfully in trials in 1945 as a possible upgrade, but the war was winding down and it did not go into production. However, the exercise gave Chrysler engineers valuable research and development experience with two-valve hemi combustion chamber dynamics and parameters.

In addition to the aircraft engine, Chrysler and Continental worked together to develop the air-cooled AV-1790-5B V12 Hemi engine used in the M47 Patton tank.

92 FXLR
97 Ultra (RIP)
98 95th Anniversary Ultra
Riding With Respect PGR #162751
Lakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

that crane cam is not a bad looking cam for a solid mid range motor id personaly want .550 lift with that grind but would work great for a bolt in i suppose....not to familiar with the pipes you got but i will be curious to see a dyno on your build...im guessing solid 90-90

Last edited by 98DARKHORSE; 02-21-2013 at 05:37 PM.
98DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsidecycleco View Post
Looks like a little carbon.
He pulled the chamber wall back, on the exhaust valve to keep it from being crowded in that corner.
It picks up the flow a bit, from what we've seen here during flow bench work here.
Betcha' they'll run very nice.
Scott
Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping they hook up good for me. I got more then I expected!

I can't wait to get it back. I told my wrench when it was done to call me I would trailer it home. But I think he wants to be the first to ride it. I'm still waiting for him to call me to bring back my tanks, seat and pipes. He's still trying to get his shop completed so he didn't want those laying around for possible damage.